Is the CMOY the best build to learn from? (Toward building a Buffalo II)
Feb 3, 2011 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

sphinxvc

Headphoneus Supremus
I'd like to build myself a Buffalo II DAC.

Did a bit of searching but the information returned was years old.  

Is the CMOY still the best build to learn from?

Feb 3, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #2 of 8
The CMOY is a good way to see if you're into DIY and huffing solder fumes. It's an easy amp to build; it's easy to make a case for it with an Altoids can; and it's cheap -- $20-$30. An alternative that is just as easy to build is an Apheared 47, which is basically a CMOY on steroids. It's made for Grados or other low ohm headphones.

Feb 4, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #3 of 8
That Apheared 47 looks perfect!  Just a tad bit better than the CMOY since I'd actually have to translate the schematics to a breadboard instead of buying a PCB.

I want to get acquainted with DIY enough to eventually build myself a Buffalo 32 & B22.

Anything else?  Recommended reading?

Feb 4, 2011 at 6:32 AM Post #4 of 8
I agree with Mullet, my advise is to spend some time reading http://tangentsoft.net/ to learn about a lot of stuff like wiring, choosing components, soldering (very important). It's better to star with a cmoy ,I think!

Feb 4, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #5 of 8
I'd say the next step after a CMOY is maybe a Gamma-1 or Gamma-2, which will teach you how to make do SMD (surface mount) soldering. I'm not sure what a Buffalo 32 entails, but my guess is it would involve more case work than a Gamma-1 or 2. Those DACs allow for the capability of buying pre-drilled panels from AMB, which helps tremendously if you have no case work skills. You can drill your own panels though because there are so many options with AMBs DACs. The next step as far as amps goes is probably a CTH (which I'm doing a group buy for the pcbs right now -- so get in while the getting is good) or a CK²III, which I hear is really nice amp that is fairly easy to build and requires some minor case work. The next step is an M³, which is a little harder and requires a separate power supply. The B22 is after that and is probably somewhere around the difficulty of a M³. Some amp pcbs have SMD, some don't. The hardest part to DIY is on your wallet and then comes case work skills, which require the proper tools to do a sufficient job. I'm at the point where I could do the more high end boards, but don't have the case work tools and know how. Like I said before -- I'd do the Apheared 47 first then move up to a decent amp and DAC then up to the Buffalo 32 and then a B22.

All you need for the low end amps is an altoids can, a nice hole punch from staples, and a round file to make the holes bigger. Buy jacks that are plastic and not metal because it's better that everything is isolated from the metal can. Trust me... I learned this from my recent DC powered Apheared 47 build. If you use a 9V battery isolation is less necessary.

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
That Apheared 47 looks perfect!  Just a tad bit better than the CMOY since I'd actually have to translate the schematics to a breadboard instead of buying a PCB.

I want to get acquainted with DIY enough to eventually build myself a Buffalo 32 & B22.

Anything else?  Recommended reading?

Buffalo is really easy to build... since you can't really build it.. only purchase an assembled PCB.

Also, I don't not much about the Apheared 47, but you traditionally don't use a PCB with a CMOY anyway.
I would suggest that you build the cheapest CMOY you can. (You won't really use it for long anyway).

After that I would try to build something that isn't too hard or expensive, but would still be useful.
Maybe something that you could eventually use at the office or maybe a portable setup.

Maybe a dynalo?

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #7 of 8
Building a BII is very straight forward. You just need a bit extra information than the normal manual will give you. For this I've created an updated, alternative manual that I posted in the DIYaudio forum. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachments/twisted-pear/208747d1297102495-trident-three-leg-shunt-regulator-alternative-manual-buffalo-ii-1.0.zip

Soldering normally does not include SMD work, case work can be limited to drilling holes and a bit of (jig)saw work. Only problem could be ordering the BII, as those are out of stock almost indefinately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back