Is the BOSE Triport IE for me?
Nov 22, 2006 at 3:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

TheMarchingMule

Headphoneus Supremus
Here is what I am tired of: Not being able to hear people with my iM716 in, and I prefer to hear people, yet I can't wear my KSC75 because it looks to many that I can't hear them at all due to the size of those things compared to the iBud.

So...will i be disappointed with the Triport IE after having the KSC75 and iM716 to compare them to?

TIA.

P.S. I'm esp. curious about how much sound can leak in. Will it be a hybrid: the intimate range of IEMs while allowing me to hear the world around me?

Nov 22, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #2 of 22
If you can't hear with the 75's...you won't be able to hear with the IE's.

Nov 22, 2006 at 4:10 AM Post #4 of 22
yeh..i just got my 75s too and i noticed they isolate alot more than i expected, though they are certainly not closed.

i would assume any iem would isolate more than the 75, yet i have not personally heard the triports to compare.

Nov 22, 2006 at 8:02 AM Post #5 of 22
I don't know the 75s, but I'm sticking to the claim that the ies really don't isolate incoming noise at all, although they do prevent leakage of music out into the room. Whether you can hear what's going on around you depends more on the volume setting, I think, and certainly I've managed to drown out the external world with them, but it's perfectly possible to hear things if you want to.

The benefits of the ies are that they're very comfortable and have exceptional bass. The downside is that they sound muddy out of the box, have rolled-off highs and are made by Bose ... which a lot of people seem to hate about them. Personally I like mine a lot, but they're definitely a "try (at length) before you buy" item.

Nov 22, 2006 at 12:53 PM Post #6 of 22
The IE's really do not isolate at all. If you have them turned up really loud, then it my be hard to hear what's going on around you, but no more than any other earbud, (ie mx500). As far as if they are for you, it depends what you listen to. Just like any other triport product, they are highly eq'ed to sound best with certain types of music. So if you listen to acoustically based music, soft rock, jazz, classical, they sound like headphones many times their size because of their handling of the lower frequencies. However, with dance music and hip-hop they seem to distort a little bit, and while the result is not terrible, it does not compare to their sound with jazz and classical. So if you listen to mostly that type of music they are worth a listen, but if you listen to more modern music then they may not be worth the $99 to you.

Nov 22, 2006 at 3:31 PM Post #7 of 22
I've had the IE for a couple weeks now, I think they sound great. They don't isolate at all, but atmospheric sound doesn't take away from the music, and a decent amount of volume makes them comparable with IEMs, without those nasty microphonics.

Treble can definitely be 'rolled off', ( I understand what that means now) but the bass is deep and punchy. It lacks the energy for rock, unless you turn the volume up rather loud, when the treble seems to come in more and open up a bit.

I can't compare them to the phones you mentioned, but I can say I like them better than my Super.fi 3s, and they do everything but treble better than my HD280s, 'cept isolation, of course.

There's also the side effect of advertising Bose headphones, which isn't doing anyone any favors.

Nov 22, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #9 of 22
while the shure e5c's are very nice earphones the bose inear's are unequaled at $100. the bose are more comfortable as well as more bass rich. the e5c's provide better clarity, high end and of course isolation.

Nov 22, 2006 at 4:52 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbgalg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
while the shure e5c's are very nice earphones the bose inear's are unequaled at $100. the bose are more comfortable as well as more bass rich. the e5c's provide better clarity, high end and of course isolation.

For some reason I have a hard time buying that (that the Bose are unequaled at $100).

Nov 22, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For some reason I have a hard time buying that (that the Bose are unequaled at $100).

I wouldn't say that they are unequaled at $100, because the Shure E2c's will give you comparable sound quality at the $100 price point, (the super fi3's cannot compete with either one IMHO) if you can get the proper seal and keep them in your ear for more than 30mins. They can be uncomfortable, but not for everyone. The E2c's are better all-around, meaning that they can sound good with everything. However, but I do understand where the poster was coming from because I have not heard anything for that price that will provide the range of sound (esp. low notes) that they do at that size. With Jazz and Classical music they sound almost like full-size headphones. They are also very comfortable, and are good for those who do not want to walk around in the streets with all outside sound blocked out. I have a rio carbon loaded with jazz and classical, and the bose IE's make for a great sounding ultra-portable setup.

Aug 26, 2008 at 9:44 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Does it really help anyone hearing that you can't believe it, esp. it you don't even bother giving a reason?

Aug 26, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by M-A-Z /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it really help anyone hearing that you can't believe it, esp. it you don't even bother giving a reason?

to be fair unequaled at 100 dollars is a little too bold a claim for anything that comes from bose although it is technically possible. They have horrible bang for the buck, even if not everything they make sucks. Also someone just above me said the e2c is comparable to the boss ie and superior to the ue3s. I have heard both the ue3 and e2c the e2c was one of the most boring flabby headphones I've heard so if the boss ie sounds similiar then I already know the boss ie is not unequaled at 100 dollars, of course that applies only to myself.

Aug 26, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by M-A-Z /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's all truth by majority in these parts. Heh. And I think you'll find lots of people here who will agree that $100 can take you to better places than the Bose IEs. Have a search around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back