Is the ATH W1000 better than the HD 650?
Jan 18, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #16 of 42
Grado's sound good, but are harsh, seriously harsh, and are not nearly as versatile.

Don't get me wrong, i love my 325i's, but not from my ipod, for instance
smily_headphones1.gif

W1000s sounded great from my ipod
smily_headphones1.gif

But yeah, if you have a chance at auditioning grados, go for it! Just bigger of a risk, in my opinion..

Jan 18, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #18 of 42
With most headphones in the same price range one never "smokes" the other. It's always down to preference, though that 6moons review said the w1000 doesn't need an amp a lot of low impedence phones require a lot of current and only dedicated headphone amps can provide it most of the time.

Jan 18, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #19 of 42
Don't actually own a W1000, but did have it on loan for 2mths. It has a warm sound, a little harsh at the top end, struggles a little to keep up over complex passages and bottom end extension is not as well controlled - but that is comparing to a W5000.

Unless the preference is for a closed set with wood, may I suggest the open versions?

ATH-AD900, which I had for over 1yr, though is not as punchy as W1000, yet I find it to be comparable. And I particularly like the articulation of ATH-AD2000.

Comparatively, I'm a little underwhelmed by HD650, but am looking forward to have a listen to HD800 in the future!

Jan 18, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #20 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this true? If so; why don't I see more W1000 users here?

To get back to your original question -- Neither is better than the other, although as you have found out, people have strong preferences for one or the other, based on their musical tastes and sonic priorities.

Full disclosure first: I own both the W1000 and HD650.

The arguement as to which is better reminds me of a similar arguement back in the 1970's. Acoustic Research and KLH represented the laid-back, polite East Coast Sound and JB Lansing and Altec represented the up-front, punchy West Coast Sound. There were strong advocates for each approach and, like audiophiles today, the arguements persisted from those who saw this as polarizing, rather than opportunistic.

While I believe that there are quite a few W1000 (and W5000) users here, they simply may not choose to post as much due to the flames that sometimes come from the less open minded.

If you have ever performed a digital room correction/equalization on your listening room, you may have found out that accoustically flat may translate as lacking some low-end warmth and maybe a bit too much high end. I think the Audio Technica engineers have measured and designed their phones with a somewhat similar approach -- no artificial sweeteners -- "just the facts ma'am".

On the other hand, the Sennheisers have gotten a progressively more prominent "warming-up" when moving from the HD580 to the HD650 which sounds pleasing and is preferred by many to create a more enjoyable listening experience.

We could go on about how the original recording varies greatly from the truth, requiring headphones to compensate, but that's another time and another thread.

Bottom line, both are great phones driven by different design and listening philosophies. I enjoy both very much (when not listening to my Stax
very_evil_smiley.gif
).

Jan 18, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #21 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by WilCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... (when not listening to my Stax
very_evil_smiley.gif
).

You person!
smily_headphones1.gif

But true what you said. It is totally subjective/relativistic/according to own preference etc.. But he (op) hasn't listened to any and doesn't seem to have the chance.. So we would be more helpful if we tried to, somehow, describe the sonic characteristics of, say these two phones.
Edit: I'm not saying I'm really up for the job, but I have listened to them both.
smily_headphones1.gif

To another post, open Audio Technicas are not really rock-phones, don't you think? I have the AD2000's and while I enjoy them really much, they don't really cut it with this type of music. I think they pronounce the mids too much and lack warm bass. Some amps do help though..

-K

Jan 18, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #23 of 42
What amp were you using with the AD2000's? Just curious..

Jan 18, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #24 of 42
I was about to ask the same thing to WittyzTH
biggrin.gif

I'm planning to get the EF1 for my AD2k. I have asked some headfiers here and they said they will pair well with each other
popcorn.gif

It also depends on what you're looking for though, I want a bit more warmer without too boomy
icon10.gif

Jan 18, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #25 of 42
I ever tried AD2000 with many amps, but Lisa III, M³, and β22 do really really great with it. For the tube amp, Single Power MPX3 SE is the good choice (and which I prefer the most since I love some of tubey sound.)
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #26 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyzTH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ever tried AD2000 with many amps, but Lisa III, M³, and β22 do really really great with it. For the tube amp, Single Power MPX3 SE is the good choice (and which I prefer the most since I love some of tubey sound.)
smily_headphones1.gif

FWIW, I really like the AD2000 with my Yamamoto HA-02 amp.

To the original topic, I can't say that the HD650s or the W1000s are better than the other. I switch off between these headphones from time to time and I find something to like in each one and for all (or most all) genres of music. For a long time I kept both by my desk and switched back and forth, trying to get a preference. They are both great headphones and both have given (me, at least) hours of pleasure.

Jan 19, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #27 of 42
Jazz is the type of music I listen too most of the time. I have owned the W1000, W5000, HD580 and the HD600. To me the W1000 was the best sounding of them.

FWIW I have listened to the HD650 extensively and to me it was way to warm and lacked top end.

Jan 19, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #28 of 42
The AD2000 certainly is one of the best rock phones you can get. If you think that they don't have enough warmth, you need to change your amplifier. The AD700 and AD900 are indeed lacking in bass at times, but on the flip side its exciting, sweet forward mids with great prat makes them a good choice as a rock can. It's not like rock is a basshead genre, so bass shouldn't be the only factor in determining what makes a good rock can.

Jan 19, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by whaleyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW, I really like the AD2000 with my Yamamoto HA-02 amp.

That's one of the amp I like to try.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back