Is the 650 dark?
Jun 6, 2005 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Joey_V

1000+ Head-Fier
As the title says, is the hd650's sound signature dark?

As dark as the 555?

I like the lush midrange of the 555 and the bass (although it seems a little boomy at times)... but I dont like the darkness. I feel as if I get depressed if I listen to it for long. Something along the lines of the sa5000 with more bass would be preferable for me and my sonic taste.

Jun 6, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #3 of 46
the 650 isn't dark to me. It did at first though, went from bright to dark to bright to dark again (or something like that, I dunno), but I like the sound, doesn't gimme a headache. I guess it depends on where you're coming from. Never heard the 555 to compare.

(also IMO, grados make almost every other phone seem dark!)
rs1smile.gif

EDIT: It depends on your source and amp as well, off a mediocre portable or bad player/card the 650 tends to sound real rolled off/dark or something.

Jun 6, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #4 of 46
Well I find them "dark" in comparison to the HD595. But then I find a healthy level of darkness to sound natural
tongue.gif

I think it is needed to define dark.

Jun 6, 2005 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 46
The 650s are, first of all, very linear cans compared to most meeting their price tag. If you prefer an extended and resolved sound (from top to bottom) they might please you completely.
If you're looking for a leaner presentation, bit brighter - I guess you'll be better off with AKGs or Grados.
The only fault I dare to admit to my cans (I own a set of these Senns) are mycrodynamics and speed.
Apart from that ... they're perfect!
biggrin.gif

My advice to you is to listen to them, and others, and trust your ears!!! (they never lie
biggrin.gif
... the brain does)

Jun 6, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #6 of 46
Is the sky blue?
biggrin.gif

For what it's worth, I found the 650s to be a bit darker than the 595s -- I haven't heardth 555.

In comparison to the SA5000, the Senn 650 is considerably darker.

Jun 6, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #7 of 46
Easy answer -- No.
smily_headphones1.gif
It just lacks all those resonances and alterations of response that commonly afflict headphones.
Hence, as soon as you 'warm up' to the sound, it won't be any "dark" anymore.

Jun 6, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #8 of 46
Since you might find it useful, I will add that my HD595 sounds darker - to me - than my HD650.

Jun 6, 2005 at 9:16 PM Post #9 of 46
It is all relative...and it is all a matter of your ears re-equalizing to the sound. I find the Omega-II dark compared to the SR-404 but I am sure that if I could afford an Omega-II I would go for it knowing that in a few days my ears and brain will adjust to the new sound.

The HD-650 will measure dark compared to the SA5000 for example...but the mic making the measurements cannot re-equalize...unlike your brain...

So I wouldnt fret on this...it is a tremendously capable headphone so dont lose hair over making a decision. There are few headphones that are technically superior to it.

gs

Jun 6, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #12 of 46
It's been a while since I had the hd555 in house (and they weren't fully burned in) but my first though when listening to them was "wow, these sound kinda like a baby hd650". Sonic signature was similar, both are a bit dark, though the hd650 has better articulation and more treble sparkle (though again, my hd650 had a lot more hours on it).

Jun 6, 2005 at 9:31 PM Post #13 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
Something along the lines of the sa5000 with more bass would be preferable for me and my sonic taste.

Honestly, comparing a can to the SA5K will make anythiing sound dark short of the K501. It's just the nature of the beast. But if you let your ears acclimate, over time the HD650 just sounds rich and mellow. And soporific. (joke!)

Jun 6, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #14 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
The HD-650 will measure dark compared to the SA5000 for example...but the mic making the measurements cannot re-equalize...unlike your brain...

Yep, I agree, the brain is highly able to re-equalize the sound you hear, so that even some major issues with it will be 'righted' or smoothed just allowing it the time.

Jun 6, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #15 of 46
So would it better for me to keep the 555 instead of upgrading to the 650? I like the lush sound it presents and the bass, but I could certainly do without some of the darkness. It just gets me depressed sometimes.

Thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back