Is Superlux HD668B a studio level Headphone?
Jun 29, 2011 at 10:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sameesamdon

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I am looking for a studio level headphone for a cheap price :)
Is Superlux HD668B a studio level headphone? I mean can I do studio level recording and mixing with this.
I am hoping to start a home studio using Fruity Loops studio( a music production software) on my lap top. I hope to have a mixer and a keyboard to later on.

Please advise if this is good? If this is not up to the studio quality what other headphones do you recommend? My price range is below 100 AUD.

Many thanks:)

Cheers!!

Sam

Jun 29, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #3 of 9
Would love to help and I really like the HD668B. I think it's an absolutely fantastic headphone for the money. BUT, I have no idea if that qualifies it as "studio" worthy. But I do know that somewhere here in the forum uses Superlux headphones in his studio exclusively but don't ask me which one... maybe if you search a bit you might find the thread...

Jun 29, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #4 of 9
No way I'd use mine in a studio. It's got a ton of detail and a great soundstage, but it's main focus to me seems to be on the treble and bass. I don't find them balanced at all and it's recessed mids are what kills it for me. They're not terribly recessed, but it is noticeable. Superlux makes another headphones that should sound similar to the K240 Studio.

I only paid under $50 for the 668B, but it's only been on my head maybea few hours. Can't stand it. Sounds more like a V shaped signature to me. It's especially bad for games and this makes it easier to spot the mids being recessed.

Even on the Superlux website they say it's similar in frequency to the DT-990 and I agree.

If you want a cheap studio monitor that's neutral, try the $99 KRK KNS-6400.

Jun 29, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #5 of 9
How about M50.. I can increase my budget up to 150 AUD?
Can you please list a few options which is in my price range, 0-150 AUD?

Something that would be really nice for professional level recording?

Thank you guys..

Jun 30, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #7 of 9
Hi,

Many thanks for your reply.. Can I use SR440 plugged in to my personal computer? Can it be powered through the the Headphone power ports? Because I will be using fruity loops to do the music production and I will be using a microphone plugged in to the Mic port for recording voices until I purchase a mixer seperately.

Many thanks.

Jun 30, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #8 of 9
May be I have not written my requirement correctly.

I want to use this head phone for professional level recording monitoring and all other associated work. It needs to be below 150 AUD and powered though the computer headphone slots?
I am not sure if I am sounding ridiculous. I am new to studio recording so please do not mind about my poor knowledge of the subject.

Many thanks.

Cheers:)

Jul 1, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
May be I have not written my requirement correctly.

I want to use this head phone for professional level recording monitoring and all other associated work. It needs to be below 150 AUD and powered though the computer headphone slots?
I am not sure if I am sounding ridiculous. I am new to studio recording so please do not mind about my poor knowledge of the subject.

Many thanks.

Cheers:)

You can try Sennheiser HD 280, HD 25-1, AKG K240, Shure SRH440/840, Sony MDR-V6; they're all great for studio work. IMO, those headphones don't really need an amp.

I have the Samson SR850 (which is an OEM HD668B), and I would not use it for studio work. They have a V-shape sound; the highs are very bright and the mids are noticeably recessed, just like tdockweiler said. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back