Is sound leaking out from an IEM vent port? Like the Meze Rai Penta...
Jun 1, 2020 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Loftprojection

500+ Head-Fier
Hello, I listen to music when I go to sleep beside my wife and I’m interested by some IEM like the Meze Rai Penta and a few others. I’m looking at reviews of hybrid with a venting port and nowhere can I find if those ports leak sound outside? I know they leak noise inside but that doesn’t concern me, my wife does not snore! Hahaha. However I’d be very dissapointed to buy an $1000 IEM and endup with my wife telling me to stop listening to music when we go to sleep because she ears my music. With regular IEM this is not a problem at all for the volume level I use, she never ears anyting.

Many thanks.

Jun 1, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #3 of 6
Hello, I listen to music when I go to sleep beside my wife and I’m interested by some IEM like the Meze Rai Penta and a few others. I’m looking at reviews of hybrid with a venting port and nowhere can I find if those ports leak sound outside? I know they leak noise inside but that doesn’t concern me, my wife does not snore! Hahaha. However I’d be very dissapointed to buy an $1000 IEM and endup with my wife telling me to stop listening to music when we go to sleep because she ears my music. With regular IEM this is not a problem at all for the volume level I use, she never ears anyting.

Many thanks.
Some sound leaks out, but negligible amounts, unless her ear is pressed right up to the vent/your ear. The reason some outside sound leaks in is that your ear is sealed against the IEM. If your current IEM doesn‘t leak enough sound to bother her, I doubt any other one will, as long as you get a good seal with the ear tips used.

Incidentally, if the vent has direct airflow to the nozzle, then you can hear sound coming in from the outside, through the vent. However, if all of the drivers are connected to sound tubes, then there is no direct connection from the vent to the nozzle. and you can often get great isolation. The Rai Penta is an open system.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #4 of 6
Some sound leaks out, but negligible amounts, unless her ear is pressed right up to the vent/your ear. The reason some outside sound leaks in is that your ear is sealed against the IEM. If your current IEM doesn‘t leak enough sound to bother her, I doubt any other one will, as long as you get a good seal with the ear tips used.

Incidentally, if the vent has direct airflow to the nozzle, then you can hear sound coming in from the outside, through the vent. However, if all of the drivers are connected to sound tubes, then there is no direct connection from the vent to the nozzle. and you can often get great isolation. The Rai Penta is an open system.
Thank you, great detail, I currently have old UE700, one driver fully sealed metallic casing.

You think the Rai Penta will leak sound since its an open system?

Jun 1, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 6
Thank you, great detail, I currently have old UE700, one driver fully sealed metallic casing.

You think the Rai Penta will leak sound since its an open system?
Actually, my mistake. The Rai Penta is a tubed system, though not quite the usual design. It looks like you won‘t hear much, if any, outside sound from the vent, both due to the tubed design, and b/c the vent is on the inside of the IEM, and thus facing into your ear. This should also make it even less likely to leak sound out as well.

Just out of curiosity, if isolation is very important, and since you plan on sleeping with them in your ears, so comfort is also very important, have you considered getting a custom IEM? From the reviews I’ve read, it seems that the Rai Penta is comfortable for most people though.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #6 of 6
Actually, my mistake. The Rai Penta is a tubed system, though not quite the usual design. It looks like you won‘t hear much, if any, outside sound from the vent, both due to the tubed design, and b/c the vent is on the inside of the IEM, and thus facing into your ear. This should also make it even less likely to leak sound out as well.

Just out of curiosity, if isolation is very important, and since you plan on sleeping with them in your ears, so comfort is also very important, have you considered getting a custom IEM? From the reviews I’ve read, it seems that the Rai Penta is comfortable for most people though.
Not really into customs, too difficult to get the prints... comfort is almost more important than sound that’s why Rai Penta, Shure 846 and Westone w60 are on my short list! Last two are old comfy classics but Rai Penta is an intriguing new comer. I listen to jazz mostly. Thanks for your comments, appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back