Is Sony MDR-Z7 really that bad?
Mar 22, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #16 of 27
They're very technically capable and have "huge" sounding bass. I personally love that about them. The downside is the tonal balance is simply wrong. You can compensate for this with PEQ, but I wouldn't consider this headphone good out of the box. They do need that EQ. Vocals are very negatively affected by the subpar tonal balance and strange midrange.

Mar 22, 2018 at 3:37 AM Post #17 of 27
I like mine a lot but i do like my Hd650 and SR325’s more and they are cheaper. One thing that sold me is it came with a balanced cable that fit the Pono so I factored and extra $100 into buying another model I was looking at. They get used about 20% of the time, seem to be driven easier then the HD 650, and do sound great out of the Pono, but what doesn’t.
Interesting.
For me, I like the Z7's more than the HD600's depending on the type of music.
(I used to have the 650's also; but decided I liked the 600's more.)
And I listen more often to the Z7's - even thinking recently of selling
my 600's - but probably won't sell them if Senn discontinues them.
As for the Grado 325e's, I have a hard time comparing them with
most any other headphones. They've got a very unique sound,
presentation, build, and fit. I like them very much. Not sure, though,
about comparing them with the Z7's. Just too different.

Mar 24, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #18 of 27
So I got the Z7's today, still don't have the 660s. My first impression of the Z7 is that they seemed a little lifeless but they are brand new and so is the WM1a I'm using so a little break in may be needed. I did EQ a little extra mid and highs in and they are sounding pretty good now. Sound reminds me of my K3003i iem's. will give both a little time to break in before making any decisions. I do really like the look and build of the Z7. Wish the balanced cable that came with them had the 4.4mm jack to fit my WM1a instead if the two 3.5mm set up. Will have to get a new balanced cable if I decide to keep them.

Jan 18, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #19 of 27
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but would like to share my thoughts;

Sony, while being typical Sony, is in the mainstream gadget market of quick successive succession model. Just as with the business of last year's flagships mobile phones is to be superceded by this year's flagships, almost all of Sony's product will be superceded in two or three or years.

That said, with every new releases, garner with some patience, one can easily grab a Sony product at a clearance street price as it make way for the successor. Of course not everyone is willing to wait.

I myself got hold of an unit of clearance Sony z7 to make way for z7m2. At the time no one knew what z7m2 will sound like. I took the plunge and no regrets.

I find it to be a fun headphones. Very V shape that's wide and yet in a subtly aggressive in a Sony way. This intrigued me even more to try out the MDR-Z1R which reviews are saying it's more of the same, but better.

That said, with the sound signature being so Sony coloured, its not going to be a good all rounder across all music genres. Thankfully EDM Electronica is all about these bass, the beat and the tweak.

So yes, I fully agreed and concurred with what was said and discussed with the previous authors, the z7 can be bit choosy with the music, but nonetheless it's bass boomy slacioiualy fun.

Just don't pay full retail price for it.
I'm waiting for the Z1R to drop in price !

Jan 18, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #20 of 27
For me it is very simple: if you like a big, soft, a bit loose and slower (than the typical audiophile fast and tight referenced) bass, with lots of bloom and analogue warmth you love the Z7s, no matter what genre.
I'd rather have too much bass than too little.

Jan 22, 2020 at 1:16 AM Post #24 of 27
Yes I heard !
I need my lamb.

100mm in these or maybe an Ori lambskin or perforated would do.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_s1k6df

IMG_20200110_091200.jpg

Jan 28, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #25 of 27
Thank ! You're legend ! I've been searching high and low on AliExpress for a reliable sheepskin pad.

Most of which the listing I found are questionable. But China is on a lockdown at the moment. I hope things will be better there.

Will purchase once things clears up back to norm.

Jan 28, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #26 of 27
So I got the Z7's today, still don't have the 660s. My first impression of the Z7 is that they seemed a little lifeless but they are brand new and so is the WM1a I'm using so a little break in may be needed. I did EQ a little extra mid and highs in and they are sounding pretty good now. Sound reminds me of my K3003i iem's. will give both a little time to break in before making any decisions. I do really like the look and build of the Z7. Wish the balanced cable that came with them had the 4.4mm jack to fit my WM1a instead if the two 3.5mm set up. Will have to get a new balanced cable if I decide to keep them.

I hope you didn’t base your final decision on your experience running the Z7 from the single ended output of the WM1A! Which even though a fantastic DAP is woefully underpowered to run the Z7, even in balanced mode, to be honest. I didn’t fully appreciate my Z7 and Z7M2 until I got a beefy desktop amp, Schiit Jotunheim, AND the Kimber Kable! Which I was not a believer in cables until I got the Kimber for the Z7 and Z7M2. My two Z7 Sony cans are among my favorite in my collection and get used every day. Along with the fantastic portable friendly 1AM2.
86F538B0-5927-4F2C-AF07-D46E86DF9822.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #27 of 27
Thank ! You're legend ! I've been searching high and low on AliExpress for a reliable sheepskin pad.

Most of which the listing I found are questionable. But China is on a lockdown at the moment. I hope things will be better there.

Will purchase once things clears up back to norm.

Here is the 110mm which is very plush. I did get the 85mm and it was alright.

GbYzqFr.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back