is shure e3 good for sony mdr ex81 replacement?
Jul 10, 2005 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

techie

New Head-Fier
i just bought sony ex81 and quite dissapointed with its sound...maybe ive had too high expectation because ipodlounge give it A rate...
i also own senn px100 and px200 and really satisfied with their sound especially with px200...maybe its sound weird but maybe im one of the lucky person who can get good position using px200...yes the bass isn't as great as px200 or even as boomy as ex81 but for me the detail, mid, and highs are excellent.
now im looking for a replacement for my ex81....ive also tried shure e2 and feels that it is very uncomfortable...the sound its ok but i couldnt stand using it maybe for more than 10 minutes before my heads dizzy....the bud is too plastic, sony ex81 is far more comfortable....
im plannig to buy shure e3 for $109, is it much better than e2 especially in comfort terms?and what about e4 for $180?is it worth paying almost double the price of e3 for e4?what difference will i get between e3 n e4?
i really need your advice because i live in indonesia so i have to make an order online so its not possible to return thme back if i dissapoint with my purchase...thank u in advance

Jul 11, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #2 of 25
The silcone ear pieces that come with the E2 are very uncomfortable, for me at least. Like you, I couldn't wear them for more than a few minutes. If you still have the E2, you may want to pick up the ultra soft flex tips for them.......they make them as comfy as the E3. If comfort is you only concern, this would probably be a rather inexpensive solution. And remember, the tips do not have to go in the ear canal very far, as it is possible to achieve a seal at the entrance to the canal. Just use a slightly larger tip.
Hope this helps.
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #3 of 25
It *is* very much possible you'll be disappointed with the E3C.....the E3C sounds completely different than the Ex71/81, almost a complete opposite. The treble is recessed, and the bass is might more well controlled and subdued.

I went from PX-100's, and HD497's to the E3C, and I have to admit I was severely disappointed. My advice to you, if you are truly afraid, is to not take the chance. With earbuds, as you already found out, everybody has a different opinion about what sounds good, and everybody's different ear shapes causes the sound of the earbud to change. I find the E3C severly dull sounding, but some people find it just right.

Jul 11, 2005 at 1:47 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by techie
im plannig to buy shure e3 for $109, is it much better than e2 especially in comfort terms?and what about e4 for $180?is it worth paying almost double the price of e3 for e4?what difference will i get between e3 n e4?
i really need your advice because i live in indonesia so i have to make an order online so its not possible to return thme back if i dissapoint with my purchase...thank u in advance

I think that the e3s have a far more accurate, realistic sound than the EX81s; you may wind up interpreting the SQ as more subdued.
I think you need to demo the e4s before an e3 purchase; it is possible that you may enjoy their extended range.
BTW your english is excellent
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2005 at 2:42 AM Post #5 of 25
I had the sony ex71's, the shure e2's (which my gf has now), and I'm currently using the e3's.
The e2's sound like a slightly 'louder' version of the sony's. Very bassy, uncontrolled. Plus the tips hurt but the security of the fit was better, the body stayed in my ear lobe better. The sound has a lot more in common with the sony's than the e3's.
The e3's felt a lot more comfortable but were prone to becoming loose out of my ear canal as I moved around. I definitely like the sound of the E3's more. It's a lot clearer, detailed, and controlled. Think going from grado to senn's.
Go with the e3's, you won't be disappointed. If you get the e2's, you'll always be wondering what you're missing.

Jul 11, 2005 at 5:28 AM Post #6 of 25
first of all, thanx for the reply

@joelongwood
sadly (or luckily) the e2 belongs to my friend, i just try it for a few minutes and wasnt impressed at all...especially because of that uncomfortable thing...but obviously comfort is not my only concern...thats why i ended selling my ex81 even IMO its very comfortable.i mostly listen to vocal jazz such as laura fygi, diana krall, etc.but sometimes i also listen to pop and r&b.oh, and in the package of e2 the ultra soft flex tip isnt included and i dont know if i could find any store in indonesia that sell it....what a pitty...

@warpdriver
yup, i definetly agree with you...the lesson is not to 100% believe in what people comment especially about IEM...hahaha....anyway if you also have senn px100 what do you think of it?im satisfied with my old px100 (already sold and thingking to buy a new one) and actually hoping that ex81 will have same sound signature as px100 but in in ear form...but i am wrong...what about e3 compared with px100?i know its in different league but im still curious about that...thanx

@stevesurf
o'd love to listen e4...but as i said since i live in indonesia...there's no store who sell it...but i've tried superfi 5 though...and i think it sound excellent...but not worth the price...my friend bought it for $270...and thank you very much for your compliment....i really appreciate it...even though im still not sure with my ability in english...hahaha...

@ arcteryx
are you sure that it will loosen up from your ears?because im planinng to use it at gym while using treadmill...have you tried using larger tips?

Jul 11, 2005 at 11:50 AM Post #7 of 25
You should be fine with the soft tips. I'm in between sizes, which is why it loosens for me, unless I jam it in. A trick is to pull your ear up by the tips of your ear, then jam them in, and let go.

Jul 13, 2005 at 10:22 AM Post #9 of 25
The e3 is a nice headphone, but it really need EQ-ing, to which it reponds very well. Without EQ it sounds midhighforward.

Jul 13, 2005 at 12:45 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by taran
$108 for e3c's

$180 for shure 4c's

where are people finding these prices?????????????????

cheapesr e4c's ive found are at $204 incl p+p.

www.earplugstore.com

Jul 13, 2005 at 3:13 PM Post #12 of 25
I don't find the E2cs bassy at all, I use the foam tips but the there is hardly any bass there compared to my Sony EX70s. They're a bit clearer, possibly because they seem easier for my iPod to drive.

I just ordered some UM-2s but that's cos I'm after that next level of clarity
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2005 at 4:40 PM Post #15 of 25
I used to own the E3cs (which I lost at an airport), and have recently acquired the E4s. If you can afford the price tag on the E4s, I heartily recommend them over the E3s. The way I see it, is when I could get such good clarity, balance and bass with the E4s, why would I pay $100 for the E3s that disappoint, relatively speaking?

Mind you, the original price on the E3s was a lot higher, and the E4s, at $180-190, are being sold at a real bargain price, considering how close they are to the flagship E5s in performance.

The E3s will likely sound leagues ahead of your ex81s, but the E4s are a complete sound package, in my opinion, especially for under $200. Considering your tastes in music, I think you will be extremely happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back