Is Sennheiser HD598 worth keeping? Or should I return it to Amazon and get $99 back?
Dec 19, 2014 at 10:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

RotaryPhones

New Head-Fier
I bought the Sennheiser HD598 from Amazon when they had it on sale for $99.(no tax, free 2-day Prime shipping)

After listening to it without a headphone amp, I also tried it with a FiiO E07K USB DAC amp.  

I'm still not sure if it's worth $99.  Amazon's holiday return period doesn't end for another month, so I guess I don't have to decide immediately. Still... what's the old saying? When in doubt, hesitate?   

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #4 of 19
I think it really depends on your budget.  If you feel you can well afford the luxury of hanging on to a $99 item, that you will use only very so often, or for trade bait, then keep them.  If you are uncomfortable with that investment, then sell or return.

Dec 20, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #5 of 19
  I bought the Sennheiser HD598 from Amazon when they had it on sale for $99.(no tax, free 2-day Prime shipping)

After listening to it without a headphone amp, I also tried it with a FiiO E07K USB DAC amp.  

I'm still not sure if it's worth $99.  Amazon's holiday return period doesn't end for another month, so I guess I don't have to decide immediately. Still... what's the old saying? When in doubt, hesitate?   

I still have my HD 598 even though I have upgraded to the HD 700.  I do not mind throwing them in a hard case to use as my portable headphones as I do not like to take the expensive set out of the house.   Plus I still love the sound of the HD 598 and at $99.00 was quite a deal.

Dec 20, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #8 of 19
Like Mechans1 said, it completely depends on your budget.
The HD558's (the 598's slightly less refined brother) were my first pair of 'nice' headphones. Despite owning a wide range of more costly headphones now, I still use them on a daily basis. The reason for this is that they are super comfortable and are great all-rounders that work with games, movies and most kinds of music. They also improve with an amp.

In short: if you have the money and are open to owning multiple headphones, I wouldn't trade them in.

Dec 20, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #9 of 19
Like Mechans1 said, it completely depends on your budget.
The HD558's (the 598's slightly less refined brother) were my first pair of 'nice' headphones. Despite owning a wide range of more costly headphones now, I still use them on a daily basis. The reason for this is that they are super comfortable and are great all-rounders that work with games, movies and most kinds of music. They also improve with an amp.

In short: if you have the money and are open to owning multiple headphones, I wouldn't trade them in.

The fact that the 558/598 are "great all-rounders" is the exact reason you do not need to own multiple headphones.

To the OP: $99 was a steal.  If you really want to get rid of them, sell them for a profit.

Dec 20, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #10 of 19
The fact that the 558/598 are "great all-rounders" is the exact reason you do not need to own multiple headphones.

Fair enough. I (perhaps wrongly) assumed the OP was looking for an upgrade. Exactly because the HD5X8 series are great all-rounders, they don't excell with anything in particular. But you make a fair point. It all depends on how far you intend to take this hobby.

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #12 of 19
Best troll post I've seen in months. Bravo! :p

Wasn't intended as such. :confused: My apologies if it came across as trolling.

Edit: Looking back I can see how my post can be interpreted as a d!ck post. Apologies I merely tried to say that no headphones are fantastic at everything, even great all-rounders.

@RotaryPhones (OP): Are you considering selling it in order to buy another set of headphones? If so, are there any headphones you have in mind? Perhaps if you can give us an indication of your (music) preferences we can provide you with better advice.
You should be able to sell them at over $99, BTW. Especially on eBay with worldwide shipping. Lowest price for a set of 598's I have seen here in Europe is €158 ($193).

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #13 of 19
You know, you could just sell them for $99, buyer pays paypal fees and shipping rather than lose money from shipment back to amazon. 

Just an idea of giving back to the community 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back