Is Sennheiser HD 595s for £70 worth getting?
Aug 11, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #2 of 31
I've read some people here didn't much care for them (I did, however). I used them mostly for playing games though, something which I'm not sure applies to you. They border on needing to be amped--you can get along just fine without it though.

Aug 11, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #3 of 31
Creative aurvana live Goldring dr150 goldring ns1000 are all £39-£55 and I would say all better than the 595.

Sennhieser hd 580 hd 598 hd 600 hd 650 are the good ones.

Aug 11, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 31

Quote:
Hi

I have the opportunity to buy some Sennheiser HD 595s for £70, in as-new condition.

Are these good headphones? I know nothing about them.

What kind of headphones do you have right now?  I don't understand what you mean by negative reviews.  I say get em'.  It should come
with an adapter.

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #8 of 31

I should note that I am not planning on using an amplifier unless necessary.

Quote:
No, unless you mod them. Do the soundstage mod by cutting out the inner plastic grill. If you don't do it, it's not worth the price IMO. That mod seriously improves the HD 595.

I am aware that mods like this exist, but literally cutting into my headphones sounds very scary to me.

Quote:
What kind of headphones do you have right now?  I don't understand what you mean by negative reviews.  I say get em'.  It should come
with an adapter.

Right now I have the Platronics 367 headset, which I hate.

I know the headphones normally come with an adapter, but the adapter is broken in this set. It only costs £3.00 anyway.

And I mean the negative views on this thread.

I am amazed that £50 headphones could possibly beat the HD 595s ththatthat costcosthat ffthattttffftthat cost over £100.

Since it could well be a £50 saving, I am very reluctant to cancel the sale.

EDIT: For people who think that this is a bad deal, could you suggest a lower price that I could ask for?

Aug 11, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #9 of 31
Bump.
I am probably going to have to make a decision on these in the morning.

Everything I have read so far, in this thread and elsewhere has been very off-putting.
c64's alternate suggestions all have worryingly good reviews for a lower price.

However, from £120 to £70 is a very big discount, and the source is trust-worthy. It just sounds like such a good deal on paper.

Would I be making a big mistake?

I mean, how much of a discount can off-set the bad aspects of the 595s?

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #10 of 31
Heya,

Perhaps you may want to check out what fans of the HD 595 have to say about the product. Do click on the following link - Sennheiser HD595 Appreciation Thread

Also, the cable of the HD 595 ends with a 6.3 mm plug but it also comes with an adaptor to 3.5mm. So you won't need to get an additional adapter. 

Last but not the least, we do not recommend the mod of cutting out the inner plastic grill as this won't really add on to your listening pleasure but will only void your warranty. 

Hope this helps. I'm pretty sure you will enjoy the HD 595! 

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Aug 12, 2011 at 6:24 AM Post #11 of 31

Quote:
Heya,

Perhaps you may want to check out what fans of the HD 595 have to say about the product. Do click on the following link - Sennheiser HD595 Appreciation Thread

Thanks, that makes me feel a bit better.

Also, the cable of the HD 595 ends with a 6.3 mm plug but it also comes with an adaptor to 3.5mm. So you won't need to get an additional adapter. 

Yes, but I said before that the adapter is broken in this particular sale.
Is the adapter I chose ok?

Last but not the least, we do not recommend the mod of cutting out the inner plastic grill as this won't really add on to your listening pleasure but will only void your warranty. 

Okay I will ignore that mod.

Hope this helps. I'm pretty sure you will enjoy the HD 595! 

I will be closing the deal at 8PM tonight.

Aisde from c64's headphones that I have already checked out, are there any other alternatives that beat the 595s at £70?

I'm trying to find at least one person who thinks this is a good deal at that price.

Aug 12, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #12 of 31
They're great headphones. Been using mine for almost three years now and I still love them.
Also I'd just like to clarify that they do NOT need an amp. I know since I have a FiiO E9 and it does absolutely nothing for the HD595s.
What I would recommend, though, is a good source. This may be a soundcard in your computer, or an external DAC. 
There's a significant difference in sound quality between using my 595s with my Creative x-fi music or FiiO E7, compared to using it with the onboard soundcard of my laptop.
I paid 160 euros for mine and I would do so again without a doubt.

Aug 12, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #13 of 31
Thanks for the positive reply Anathema.

I have found that £70 is not massively below the standard second-hand price for 595s anyway, so its not as good a discount as I thought.

I am planning to refuse the offer unless it can be discounted further.

Aug 12, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #14 of 31
Just one more thing before this thread is concluded:

How likely is it that I would be able to find a deal like this again? (595s for £70)

How rare actually is this deal?

Aug 12, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #15 of 31
Bump with this question:
Quote:
How likely is it that I would be able to find a deal like this again? (595s for £70)

How rare actually is this deal? 

If I know that I can get a deal like this again, then I can turn down the current offer whilst still keeping the option open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back