Is SACD dying (I guess DVD-A is kind of already dead)
Jun 17, 2004 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

marios_mar

Headphoneus Supremus
I threadjacked a few minutes ago at a brian eno post and I though i should make a whole thread about this:

Is SACD fading away? Are there going to be new hirez media soon? Is SACD ever going to get a lot more titles and when?

I like how they sound a lot. I would like to buy more than the one I got. But I wouldnt like to have lots of discs of a format that will die prematurely..

Id rather buy used LPs if thats the case.

thoughts,links etc?

Jun 17, 2004 at 9:52 PM Post #2 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by marios_mar

Is SACD fading away?

I sure hope NOT.. I myself have listened to some Indian classical music recorded on SACDs, and I was really mesmerized by the sound.. I hope to build a good SACD based home system, sometime soon.. and I sure don't want to sink money into a dying format..
frown.gif

Jun 17, 2004 at 11:11 PM Post #6 of 56
In my opinion, SACD is still growing. Not so sure about DVD-A though. Stephen, the owner of sa-cd.net, is in Hong Kong for a seminar on SACD put together by Universal/Philips/Sony. Maybe some kind of big announcement??

Just got some SACD today....will be adding 5 new titles to sa-cd.net's list.

Jun 17, 2004 at 11:12 PM Post #7 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
Oh man, wait till markl gets a hold of you!
eek.gif

biggrin.gif

Oh, Yeah, and Welly Wu too!
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2004 at 11:26 PM Post #8 of 56
It seems to me that if any format is dying, it's DVD-A. I'd actually like DVD-A to win because then I could rip it onto my computer (after the encryption & compression are cracked of course), whereas with SACD, even if I could rip it, I couldn't listen it because no soundcards do DSD.

Jun 17, 2004 at 11:32 PM Post #9 of 56
Any other formats on the horizon?

Spinning discs are too cumbersome as it is. Can you ever imagine having one of those monstrous megachangers in your home?

I think the future of the audio world would be centered around some form of harddrive based mass storage device, storing encrypted high res files right on the harddrive, having an entire library in just one box. Discs will just be a physical transfer medium (until high speed connections are more prevalent), and can possibly self destroy a few days after the initial transfer.

Jun 18, 2004 at 3:05 AM Post #10 of 56
Is it just me? Seems like every couple of weeks someone comes out screaming SACD or DVDA is dead. They're still rolling out both formats as far as I can tell, albeit not as fast as I'd like. Think about it, why would audio companies still dishing out new sacd players if the format is dead?

Jun 18, 2004 at 5:18 AM Post #11 of 56
I'm on a permanent wait-and-see mode, myself.

Jun 18, 2004 at 11:32 AM Post #12 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkclouds
Is it just me? Seems like every couple of weeks someone comes out screaming SACD or DVDA is dead.

judiciously I only rock the boat every 6 months
icon10.gif

Quote:

Think about it, why would audio companies still dishing out new sacd players if the format is dead?

People love buying stuff. especially electronics.

Jun 18, 2004 at 11:53 AM Post #13 of 56
I have bit on a decent universal player. Now I don't worry about format wars. No more reading a review of one format, or seeing something in a store, wishing I had the right player for it. I can just buy whatever CD I want. Now I can focus on the music.

Jun 18, 2004 at 12:43 PM Post #14 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by raaj
I sure hope NOT.. I myself have listened to some Indian classical music recorded on SACDs, and I was really mesmerized by the sound.. I hope to build a good SACD based home system, sometime soon.. and I sure don't want to sink money into a dying format..
frown.gif

Where did you manage to get that!!!! I've been looking for them forever.

Jun 18, 2004 at 2:37 PM Post #15 of 56
You know, I'm thinking that Jude and co. should just set up the forum software to automtically generate the following threads on a monthly basis to save people trouble, so we can all enjoy discussing them yet again:

1. Is break-in real?

2. Do fancy cables really work?

3. Open vs. closed cans?

4. Speakers vs. headphones?

5. Is an amp really necessary?

6. Are SACD/DVD-A dieing?

7. etc.

Then, maybe each of us can set up the software to include our standard replies to each of these questions as soon as they come up. That way we could generate 5 pages worth of "discussion" without any of us having to lift a finger...
orphsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back