Is pure silver wire for speaker cable worth it?
Mar 23, 2006 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

warnsey

100+ Head-Fier
G'day i'm starting to look at building my own speaker wire in a litz braid configuration. Is using pure silver teflon coated wire worth it or should i just use silver coated copper. Any reccomendations??

Mar 23, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 9
It's worth using pure silver only if your speakers are lacking in the upper ranges. Otherwise it'll be BRIGHT
cool.gif

I think that silver plated copper (SPC) wire probably have a more balanced and neutral sound.

Guess it really depends on what you like, just remember the 3 B's: Bass = Copper, Balance = SPC, Bright = Silva!

Mar 24, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by firefox360
just remember the 3 B's: Bass = Copper, Balance = SPC, Bright = Silva!

This is way too generalised. There are numerous factors that must be taken into consideration such as source, phones, amp, users preferences, etc etc etc.

Mar 24, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #4 of 9
If it is 5ft long it may worth a try but if it is 20ft long... it is a lot of money to spend on unknown return. At the same time. not all amp is happy with long braid configuration.
I personally will spend the money on other part of the system.

Mar 24, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #5 of 9
Yeah i'm thinking of using 22 AWG teflon coated silver in an 8 braid litz around a 6 foot run.

Mar 24, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

This is way too generalised. There are numerous factors that must be taken into consideration such as source, phones, amp, users preferences, etc etc etc.

Pretty much.

Cable topology can have WAY more effect than any "what is better silver or copper" type questions and some amps are even known to detonate with cables having a high inductance while others hate a high capacitance and will become unstable when that is added to the feedback loop (through the amp output).

Mar 24, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos

Guess so. But generally that's what being said about those materials around the forum. And it's usually correct if you just talking about the cable alone. End results definitely do vary with the equipment.

Jan 16, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #9 of 9
Did the manufacturer of your source (iPod, CD player, computer) use silver to make the traces on the PCB's? Did the manufacturer of your amp use silver plated contacts in the speaker jacks or the Line-In jacks? Are the resistors and capacitors all made with silver plated conductor leads? People generally, like to think silver will be better because it's more electrically, conductive than copper, but your entire listening rig is a slew of bottlenecks if we are talking about conductivity. And many of your points of contact are going to be plated brass... plated with gold or nickel, which are both less conductive than copper. Only, the simplest, highest quality rigs, purpose built for use with silver, are going to see any changes, and they aren't necessarily, changes you as a human can hear.

It would be like having a water pump that can only pump enough water to fill a 3/4" pipe, and putting a 2" pipe ahead of it because it flows better--what is this accomplishing?

I say all this, but I'm actually, just theorizing; I've never used silver conductor wire because it doesnt make sense on any of my equipment, in MY mind, due to the aforementioned... theorizing... yeah. Although, I have humored the idea of using silver plated, copper wire for internal wiring of speaker enclosures, just for the sake of knowing they are in no way a bottleneck. But me actually, hearing a difference would be unlikely, in my opinion.

I feel that differences caused by using silver interconnects or hook up wire is likely, due to the reasons mentioned above, inductance and capacitance. But again, whether it is audibly, noticable to my ears, I doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back