is opeth satanic?
Mar 5, 2006 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

I3eyond

500+ Head-Fier
i don't feel like reading into their lyrics, so could someone help me out please?
tongue.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #3 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
No, they're Swedish.
biggrin.gif

Isn't that the same thing?
evil_smiley.gif

Sorry, Sweden. I still love you.

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #4 of 42
neither opeth nor swedish are satanic. so not satanic that opeth is pop music. most of their earlier albums are about love and epic. i dont even listen to the last two heavy album so i dont know.

secondly most black metal is also not satanic, but just wanna be so they can be cool and have a lot of listener. black metal doesnt always necesary mean satantic neither. the controversy here is "sounding satanic" and being actaully satanic in what they do and complexity of their lyrics (even so). but i am going too far and already breaking the forum rule so i will stop.

yes i know opeth isnt black metal, its pop, i just wanted to clear some points.

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #5 of 42
the last album is about satanism i think, but none of the other albums are, and the band members have all said they are atheist or something. check out akercocke if you want to hear a satanic death/black metal band that has clean interludes a la opeth etc.

Mar 5, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #6 of 42
I am curious about this too, because I've yet to look up their lyrics and examine them. They definitely deal with evil, satan and what not, but I never got the impression they were satanists. They're music seems more horror, fantasy, story-telling themed to me and not all disturbing.
evil_smiley.gif
Most of it seems far detached from reality.

That said, I'd be worried if they're using some sort of subliminal message to unknowingly push they're agenda (if they have one) on the listeners.
basshead.gif

Also, take not that being anti-religion does not necessarily mean you are satanic, which is stupid anyway because satanism is a religion! Also, being anti-religious doesn't mean you are athiest or have no belief, many simply hate organised religion and the problems associated with it (e.g. Tool). In any case, unless you already have issues/insecurities with your beliefs then there shouldn't really be a problem.

Mar 6, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #7 of 42
What do you mean by "satanic"? That they sing about "evil" things? That they say things like "Satan the dark master is lord"? (Played forwards or backwards?) That they sacrifice babies or whatever you imagine "real satanists" do? Or what?

What a silly thread.

Mar 6, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #8 of 42
but holy crap Opoop is not satanic even in the lyrics. its just mellow sad, anger, death, afterlife (alot of ghost themes). and even if the word devil is mention doesnt mean its satanic, it is for iconic or symbolism. ie: the song grand juration: "The eyes of the devil
Fixed on his sinners"
"The hands of Satan
Assembling his flock"

its not pro-satanism. just ...dark. i think you can find a (lost) love theme is almost every Opoop album. for it to be satanism it have to promote ideal that is opposite polarity of normal ideals, because that what satanism is, doing things different, and taking that power from the Satan. it gets confusing and i'm dont know all about it, but there are many different style of it. but the "i am evil, hail satan, and go kill stuff" to me is still just stupid and ignorance. you can get that from majority of bad black metal and some death metal.

i know the majority of people shudder whe introduce with dark themes and depressive stuff because we arent used to it. but alot of these death metal is really harmless, just annoying to the ears for the most part.. where is Script when you need him.

Mar 6, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #11 of 42
Most things that are labeled as "satanic" are not intended to be "satanic" by their creators. For evidence see the Salem witch trials.

Some music is marketed as "satanic" in order to sell records. To paraphrase Ozzy himself: "If we really believed what we were singing about, it would have scared the (bleep) out of us".

Mar 6, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #13 of 42
how can you guys consider such a thread stupid?

although when i listen to music, i rarely ever listen to the words as poetic devices to convey something, but instead just as another instrument playing in the background. but when i listen to music, i don't want to listen something that promotes satan and/or speaks badly about christ.

when i think of satanic, i think anti-christ. you guys are right, this isn't necessarily right, and this could be considered silly. but the overall purpose of the thread is not. is it silly to be curious about something you strongly believe in?

Mar 6, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by I3eyond
is it silly to be curious about something you strongly believe in?

Quote:

Originally Posted by I3eyond
i don't feel like reading into their lyrics

Now I'm sure this isn't the level of "curiosity" you display toward the rest of your strongly held beliefs. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back