Is Nomad Jukebox Zen worth to wait?
Oct 10, 2002 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

blankdisc

500+ Head-Fier
I was going to buy a Nomad Jukebox 3 b4. since i heard Creative will release Nomad Jukebox Zen later, i am thinking if i need to wait for this one. It's small, thin, just a little bit expensive. but it also loses 10 GB space compare to Jukebox 3 and no line out, no double battery option, and no double color for backlight.
what you guys think?

Oct 11, 2002 at 3:30 PM Post #5 of 58
you can go to buy.com, they start to take back order of Nomad Jukebox Zen, it's $358 for 10GB version, i heard there will be a 20GB version also. btw, It does have firewire connection.

Oct 11, 2002 at 4:58 PM Post #6 of 58
Another option is to wait until the Zen comes out, then pick up the NJB3 after retailers drop the price or pick one up second hand.

Oct 12, 2002 at 2:43 AM Post #11 of 58
Meh, at least the ipod more than makes up for it's lack of line out(and the 5 gig version is under $300).

What I'm saying about the zen is: it's a step backwards. Both the previous njb have had line outs. Suddenly, this one doesn't?

Oct 12, 2002 at 4:41 AM Post #12 of 58
I agree with Andrzejpw. It is a step backwards.
The ipod is a sweet machine and is worth the $400 or $500. I believe the NJB3 is worth the $400.
I don't understand the point of releaseing a product with half the capacity and less features foronly $50 less. I know size is important to a lot of people, and I could definitely understand that. But for me the loss of functionality doesn't compensate for that.
Personally for the extra $50 I'd get the ipod or the NJB3.
Blankdisc, Thanks for the info. I stand corrected. It does have firewire. My apologies.

Oct 12, 2002 at 6:28 AM Post #13 of 58
Quote:

I know size is important to a lot of people, and I could definitely understand that.

Size DOES matter.
wink.gif

Oct 13, 2002 at 6:30 AM Post #14 of 58
I have the Nomad Jukebox 3 and would still go for it again if I had the choice. The Zen doesn't have a line out which is a bummer. I guess if you use a different source for portable and home then it's not an issue. I might consider doing a review of the Nomad Jukebox 3 line out vs some expensive CDP. Curious as to the differences, since I am considering upgrading my sources in the near future. However, that is assuming my PCBs (for the KG amp) will actually arrive
redface.gif

Oct 13, 2002 at 6:56 PM Post #15 of 58
amazon.com anounced that Zen would be released on 10/21. they started to take pre-order for it. $349.99 for 20 GB(not what i said 10 GB b4), pretty attractive, since NJBIII costs at least $330 also.
what you got is a skinny(ofcourse, compare to NJBIII, still can't beat Ipod), tough(aluminum case, ipod lost on this point), a little light body(9.5 ounce). oh, you will get a case in the box also.
based on this, Zen is not more expensive than NJBIII at all(a case costs 20 dollars for NJBIII).
what you lose is probably a line-out option(a little bit pity), recording feature(useless anyway),green color for back light(not a big deal), and one extra battery space(not a lot of people will spend 50 to buy another battery, right?).
btw, they use the same laptop hard drive. not the one like Ipod uses. that's the main reason why Ipod has such a small size and high price.
finally, I think Zen is good. i will go for it.
btw, is it true that WinPod has a lot of problem? and Apple seems doesn't respect Windows Users.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back