Is Nomad Jukebox Zen worth to wait?
Oct 16, 2002 at 9:57 AM Post #31 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by aznhoward
Two words: Notmad Explorer

smily_headphones1.gif
www.redchairsoftware.com

Word on the street is it's only marginally better. Don't have one though to compare.

Oct 16, 2002 at 12:01 PM Post #32 of 58
Actually I'm in the process of trading my Recorder 20 and cash for a NJB3. I really find the sound to be incredible, better than the Recorder, especially amped out of the line out. I love the Archos as well Archosman, but the sound is really better to me on the Nomad.
As far as the software, I don't have much experience with playcenter,but the Notmad software works great, turns into a drag and drop situation like the Archos. No bugginess.....

Yet
cool.gif

Oct 16, 2002 at 12:23 PM Post #33 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by williamgoody
Actually I'm in the process of trading my Recorder 20 and cash for a NJB3. I really find the sound to be incredible, better than the Recorder, especially amped out of the line out. I love the Archos as well Archosman, but the sound is really better to me on the Nomad.
As far as the software, I don't have much experience with playcenter,but the Notmad software works great, turns into a drag and drop situation like the Archos. No bugginess.....

Yet
cool.gif

I've thought about picking one up, but I've already got 2 Mp3 players. I just hate the size of it compared to the iPod & Jukebox MultiMedia.

Oct 16, 2002 at 5:22 PM Post #35 of 58
Quote:

I've thought about picking one up, but I've already got 2 Mp3 players.

I hear that, This is my sixth that I have owned.
Neo Jukebox (20 Gig) Still own
Archos Studio 20 Still own
Archos Recorder 20 Traded for NJB3
5 Gig ipod Turned it in the help me get a......
20 Gig Ipod sold
NJB3 So far my favorite.

AHH, the quest for good sound...

smily_headphones1.gif
wink.gif

Oct 17, 2002 at 7:36 AM Post #37 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by cstyle
Here are some pics comparing the Zen to the iPod.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/374/374494p1.html

IGN's "reviews" never cease to amaze me; they are consistently horrible.

I love this quote from the above article:

Quote:

Creative has always done right in terms of sound quality and the Zen is no exception. This is probably my biggest beef with the iPod -- it's not loud enough to maintain clear audio throughout its volume range -- and I'd pick a slightly larger portable that sounded superior every day. The headphone amp is extremely powerful and the sound stays clean even when the player is running at peak levels. Creative bundles Sennheiser earbuds with the Zen. Throw them out and get decent ones immediately.

1) Creative's players have historically been called some of the worst performers in terms of sound quality.

2) The iPod is consistently called the best sounding MP3 player on the market, and is known for having one of the most powerful headphone jacks.

3) One of the GOOD things about Creative players has been that they come with decent Sennheiser earbuds.

That's three major credibility killers in one paragraph
wink.gif

As for the Zen, it's a major advance in looks/design over the older Creative hard drive players, but it looks like a downgrade in features.

Oct 17, 2002 at 3:39 PM Post #39 of 58
I've had both a 20gb ipod and a Nomad Jukebox 3. Both sound clear, but the ipod lacks bass. If you're just looking for the best sound, go for a Nomad. I'm going to get a Zen.

Oct 17, 2002 at 4:48 PM Post #40 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by blankdisc
so you mean the Nomad Jukebox III or even Zen performs the worst in sound quanlity? and Ipod does the best?

Of the MP3 players I've listened to (Archos, Nomad, iPod, PJB), the Nomad was clearly the worst sounding. I haven't heard the Zen yet -- I was just commenting on the reviewer's statement that "Creative has always done right in terms of sound quality"
wink.gif

I think the iPod is the best sounding of those that I've heard out of the headphone jack. The PJB and Archos (I think) have line-out jacks, but I haven't heard them through a dedicated headphone amp, so I can't speak to their performance with an amp.

P.S. In my experience, the iPod doesn't lack bass. Maybe if you're a basshead (and I don't mean that in a bad way).

Oct 17, 2002 at 6:11 PM Post #41 of 58
I compared my iPod and the NJB3 head to head and the ipod's bass doesn't have as much kick. Listen to some mp3's from your computer through headphones and then listen to the same mp3's on your iPod. You can tell there is a difference. You have to listen carefully and most importantly, objectively. I really wanted to believe the iPod had just as much bass as the Nomad, but after extensive listening I couldn't lie to myself. I ended up returning the iPod to Best Buy.

Just type in "ipod lacks bass" into google. If you look around, you'll see other people agree with me.

Oct 17, 2002 at 7:01 PM Post #42 of 58
Listening to the original CD, and then the MP3 on an iPod, the iPod doesn't attenuate the bass. So perhaps you just like a bit of extra bass?

Oct 17, 2002 at 11:09 PM Post #44 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

1) Creative's players have historically been called some of the worst performers in terms of sound quality.

I'll agree that the NJB1 had a low power amp and very stagnant sound. I don't think that applies to the NJB3 or Zen though.

Quote:

This is probably my biggest beef with the iPod -- it's not loud enough to maintain clear audio throughout its volume range...

What the heck was he/she using? The Apple-supplied earbuds or some Sony headphones? No duh. The sound doesn't distort at all at any volume.

Oct 20, 2002 at 11:48 AM Post #45 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by cstyle
I've had both a 20gb ipod and a Nomad Jukebox 3. Both sound clear, but the ipod lacks bass. If you're just looking for the best sound, go for a Nomad. I'm going to get a Zen.

I don't think the iPod lacks bass. You could always use the EQ to dial in more bass if you thought it was lacking. I like the Zen, too. I'd be curious how the user interface compares to the iPod's scrollwheel set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back