Is my New Amp broken?!
Dec 22, 2004 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

alea35

100+ Head-Fier
I just recieved my Super Mini Moy from Shellbrook labs and it doesn't seem to work
frown.gif
when i plug my bad interconnect in to my amp and my rio karma then my senn hd 280's into my amps' out but all i get is static and a tiny bit of sound on the right side. is it the bad interconnect? i've tried 2 of them already or is it the amp? how could i fix it?

Dec 22, 2004 at 8:35 PM Post #2 of 38
How high is the source and amp volume? The player should be nearly at full, with the amp's volume being controlled. Also, are you sure you put the interconnect and headphones in the right jacks on the amp? Are the batteries new or old? Are they placed in correctly? Have you tried a fresh pair?

You may have a bad cable, but you have tried more than ones so . . .

There may be a problem with the jack. But that's not too common on a new amp. I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet though. May be user error.

Dec 22, 2004 at 8:42 PM Post #3 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by alea35
I just recieved my Super Mini Moy from Shellbrook labs and it doesn't seem to work
frown.gif
when i plug my bad interconnect in to my amp and my rio karma then my senn hd 280's into my amps' out but all i get is static and a tiny bit of sound on the right side. is it the bad interconnect? i've tried 2 of them already or is it the amp? how could i fix it?

Sounds like it is knackered. Though first I would check a few things, sorry if these seem a bit patronising but if I had a $1 for ever time I had made a simple mistake.....

1) That the headphones work properly when plugged into the rio or another source - eliminate headphones.

2) That you are using the correct output on the rio and not some other socket i.e microphone.

3) Is it a fixed line level out or variable, if it is variable try turning the volume up.

3) That you are connecting the rio out to the in socket on the amp, it is probably marked.

4) That you have a correct cable i.e I assume a 1/8 stereo to 1/8 stereo jack or 1/8 to twin RCA

5) That you have a working battery or whetever power source correctly connected.

6) That it is switched on (sorry, but I used to work in tech support)

If it still dont work I would contact the manufacturer and/or send it back pronto, it should be under warranty.

Dec 22, 2004 at 9:41 PM Post #5 of 38
i just tried level 29 on my rio. then i tried another set of headphones and i still only get a tiny bit of sound on my right side. i also can't control the level of the volume with the amp. should i send it back to drew? i'd like to get some feedback here since he's still on vacation.

Dec 22, 2004 at 9:53 PM Post #6 of 38
Sounds like there is a grounding or shorting problem, maybe a solder bridge with the power traces. If the board isnt cleaned thoroughly before, it could be shorting if the flux is conductive (happens to me all the time when im testing amps). When this happens, i only get a small amount of staticky sound and pure static on another. These problems wouldnt usually be caused by bad cables (even if the channels are somehow mixing or shorting with ground). It could also be the batteries, when they are drained, the amp starts sounding like that.

-ivan

Dec 23, 2004 at 4:21 AM Post #8 of 38
It certainly sounds like it's the amp and really, it's not your job at this point to trouble shoot the internals of the amp, unless you REALLY want to. If you are confident that you have traced the problem to the amp you have a couple of options:

1. Wait to talk to Drew before writing it off. He's known for being very interested in keeping his customers happy, although I know for a fact (PM me for more details) that he's been running himself ragged for the past month trying to keep up with demand. That's no excuse, but it might be a reason. There are both plusses and minuses to waiting, only you know if you're willing to do so.

2. Ship it back and ask for a full refund per the stated 30 day risk free trail. Knowing Drew he'll probably refund your shipping too.

If it were me I'd ship it back now so there's less waiting, but if you really wanted an amp I'd give Drew the chance to replace it.

That's my 0.02.

Nate

Dec 23, 2004 at 5:46 AM Post #9 of 38
well after trying 2 batteries, 2 headphones, 2 interconnect cables i think i can say its the amp. no matter what i change it has the same effect:

side only on the right side. the sound is VERY soft. changing the volume knob has no effect on the volume. i guess i'll wait for drew to come back before i email him.

Dec 23, 2004 at 2:35 PM Post #10 of 38
I would send it back to Drew now so that it's waiting for him when he returns from vacation-- it will save you about a week. At that point, he can take a look at it, assess the situation if you wanted to keep it, or refund your money should you decide to go that route.

Dec 23, 2004 at 2:46 PM Post #11 of 38
appar111, FYI (given that you're a fellow Shellbrook shopper): I got my Pimeta from Shellbrook yesterday. It certainly does sound better than the headphone out on my Outlaw 1050 receiver (which I use with a dvd player source when playing dvd-based music videos/concert videos). I've yet to compare it to my headphone out on my better integrated amp and far superior CD player source.

My only qualm is the gain setting, which I discussed with Drew beforehand. I have very little room for adjusting the volume on the volume control before it's too loud: the lowest setting is around 7:00, which leaks sound, and yet the highest I'd go is 9:00 (before it's too loud). Thus, I feel I have very little room to make these very fine adjustments to the volume; it's too little. I'd like a lot more spread to make finer adjustments. I may have Drew adjust the gain if indeed there's room for him to do so. He said he was going to set the gain at "3." My headphones are both low impedance, A-900s and Grado SR-225s, which is surely part of the equation here.

- walkman666

Dec 23, 2004 at 5:19 PM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkman666
appar111, FYI (given that you're a fellow Shellbrook shopper): I got my Pimeta from Shellbrook yesterday. It certainly does sound better than the headphone out on my Outlaw 1050 receiver (which I use with a dvd player source when playing dvd-based music videos/concert videos). I've yet to compare it to my headphone out on my better integrated amp and far superior CD player source.

My only qualm is the gain setting, which I discussed with Drew beforehand. I have very little room for adjusting the volume on the volume control before it's too loud: the lowest setting is around 7:00, which leaks sound, and yet the highest I'd go is 9:00 (before it's too loud). Thus, I feel I have very little room to make these very fine adjustments to the volume; it's too little. I'd like a lot more spread to make finer adjustments. I may have Drew adjust the gain if indeed there's room for him to do so. He said he was going to set the gain at "3." My headphones are both low impedance, A-900s and Grado SR-225s, which is surely part of the equation here.

- walkman666

I had the same gain problems with my Headsave Classic. Gain of 3.5. I solved it getting attenuators. I got the rothwell ones. But headroom sells attenuators too for less. I suggest you try the -12db.

Dec 23, 2004 at 6:50 PM Post #13 of 38
Dec 23, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkman666
Thanks Lisa. Are you referring to these?

http://headroom.headphone.com/layout...tID=0060220005

How are they installed? Any insights would be appreciated.

- walkman666

Yes I am refering to those.
The Rothwell ones attenuate -10dB and it's just enough for me. (My amp was too loud at low settings for my taste. Especially because it's got channel inbalance below 7:30.) That's why I suggest the -12dB to you. It will give you just a tad more room. instead of being able of listening between 7 and 9 o'clock it will be 8-8:30 and 11 I think... Can be a bit different but this is just a guess from my experiances. It will be easier to controll the volume knob for sure.

They are easy to install. Just put them on your amps RCA inputs and plug the ICs into the attenuators.

Dec 23, 2004 at 7:13 PM Post #15 of 38
Thanks again Lisa (and sorry to others if I hijacked this thread).

To be sure, when you say: "Put them on your amp's RCA inputs", you mean headphone amp's inputs, right? (d'oh!).

thx, - walkman666

Users who are viewing this thread

Back