Is mid/high end DAPs worth it with my IEM
Apr 30, 2015 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

crafty0121

New Head-Fier
So I have got myself some Custom Art Music Ones. So to get me away from my old Itouch and start on my audio journey I Have a question. I know a DAP like the fiio x3ii would be good enough to to get the best out of the IEMs but going higher up the ladder to the new fiio x7 or the new Jr AK be wasted on these IEMs??? I don't plan to upgrade my IEMs( cos I love them) or plan to get a over ear headphones. Is the IEM limited so the x3 is a good choice or can I go higher up the chain and get more out of them?? Thanks in advance

Apr 30, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 5
There are extremely diminishing rates of return as you spend more on electronics. Some would even say that you should expect to hear little or no difference going from the X3 to the X7.

On the other hand, open headphones offer significantly better soundstage than IEMs, and you could certainly get better headphones in general that you would notice a difference.

Apr 30, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 5
I don't mean to sound like the X5 or the X7 might not be better. But definitely. The X3 is the best price/performance value because the SQ benefits decrease as you go up in better DACs/amps.

That being said, one benefit of the X5 is that it takes two micro SD cards. So if you have a particularly large music collection and want to carry more, then that would help. Second, the X5 and X7 have more powerful headphone amps. While that won't matter with IEMs, with some full sized headphones, it could help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back