Is MG Head powerful enough for AKG K501's?
Apr 25, 2002 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

PUGSTUB

500+ Head-Fier
Will this amp work alright for the AKG K501's? I sometimes listen at moderately loud levels but usually it's with jazz or classical music. Don't listen to much rock music.

Apr 26, 2002 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 13
NO!
eek.gif

do NOT use the K501 with the MG head! they sound absolutely wretched together. They're like oil and water! This isn't a power issue, it's just lousy synergy.

Apr 26, 2002 at 4:17 AM Post #4 of 13
i'm baffled by this hysterical response. I fell in love with my K501's while they were driven by an MG Head. I consider the combination to be "made in heaven." That's not to say that there aren't better amps for the K501's, or better headphones for the MG Head, but, especially at the price point of each, this is a great combination that can produce tremendous musical pleasure. At least, that's been my experience--and i'm certainly not a novice at this game.

maybe it would be helpful to have further explanation from Nick and Neruda. Nick acknowledges that he hasn't tried the combination. Has Neruda? Maybe they are able to divine problems here that i have overlooked.

Apr 26, 2002 at 4:36 AM Post #5 of 13
Well I'm sitting here with an MG head DT and a pair of K501s, so yeah, I've tried them. To my ears, they sound hollow and bland off the Head, and they lack dynamics. They do retain their excellent soundstage and the highs sound good, but I still don't like them through this amp very much. They sound quite a bit better off my JMT-built CHA47, in fact. That's my opinion, take it or leave it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2002 at 2:03 PM Post #6 of 13
The MG Head that Neruda is using is on loan from the joelongwood museum. It has the Wing mod (no negative feedback). If I recall correctly, the MG Head/K501 combo sounded significantly better to my ears, in the stock state, without the mod. It had a fuller, richer sound. The mod, for me, works best with the Senn HD600s. Neruda is correct in his assesment with the mod......the K501s sound pretty bad.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2002 at 3:41 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
maybe I should reverse it then and see how it sounds...

If you want to give it a shot, I have no problem with it. It really is quite easy to re-solder the two green wires to the board.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2002 at 4:44 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood

If you want to give it a shot, I have no problem with it. It really is quite easy to re-solder the two green wires to the board.
smily_headphones1.gif

But considering Neruda's awesome soldering skills and great butter knife dexterity........
rolleyes.gif

Apr 26, 2002 at 5:45 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by chych
But considering Neruda's awesome soldering skills and great butter knife dexterity........
rolleyes.gif

don't MAKE me hurt you, chych!
tongue.gif

Apr 27, 2002 at 2:41 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
maybe I should reverse it then and see how it sounds...

I already suggested that to you at least a week ago!

Well, I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend... *sigh*

wink.gif

May 15, 2002 at 11:10 PM Post #13 of 13
Hmmm... I'm actually enjoying the MG Head OTL with AKG 501's as we speak. I have a pair of EI Yugo EL84's and a Sovtek 5751 for the tubes. I have tried a NOS GE 5751 and a Philips 12AX7 and like the Sovtek 5751 best with the AKG's. Also, I have tried the amp with JJ EL84's with the GE 5751, but prefer what I am listening to right now. I'll have to try the AKG's with my CHA47 in a minute to decide if it's that much better... or worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back