Is it worth upgrading to sennheiser HD 598 from Audio technica ATH m30x
Sep 2, 2017 at 4:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Rehan Kumar

New Head-Fier
I understand that both these headphones (m30x and HD 598) are in a different league but is the sennhiser HD 598 really magical sounding pair of headphones compared to the likes of m30x because as a student it is a huge investment for me(8-9k Indian rupees or $130) and for some reason normal HD 598 costs almost twice as much compared to the special edition in my country, is there any difference in sound quality between normal and special edition one?
And is fiio k1 enough to properly drive these headphones (HD 598) nicely so overall I want advice on whether HD 598 really be step up from my current headphones and is worth the money.
I don't mind little sound leakage and I am also not much of a heavy bass loving person and I mostly listen to laid back music like chillstep and such.

Sep 2, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #2 of 4
I own the 598 and have heard the M30X and would say that the 598 are clearly "better" to my ears, but the M30X sound pretty good for the price.

Detail-wise I wouldn't consider it a super big upgrade. The 598 WOULD be a big upgrade in terms of soundstage because the depth is definitely much better.

As for comfort, the 598 demolishes the M30X. Build quality is higher on the 598 but not by much. Still all plastic, but it's very light and doesn't seem to have any weak spots.

If you like the purely neutral and flat signature of the M30X, then I think you'll love the slightly warm but sparkly sound from the 598. It's definitely bass-light, but that's never bothered me since I picked up the 650.

Firstly the special edition should sound exactly the same as the original. Secondly, I think the 598 is a decent upgrade but it's also a good sidegrade. Having one open pair and one closed pair makes a nice versatile setup. With the 598 you get more attached and immersed in the music which is wonderful to experience. The 598 also doesn't need an amp, but would benefit from one.

Verdict: if you can get it for a good price, jump on it! Its the perfect open back for somebody looking to experience that type of headphone. It's almost impossible to really dislike the sound of the 598 :)

Sep 4, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #3 of 4
I own the 598 and have heard the M30X and would say that the 598 are clearly "better" to my ears, but the M30X sound pretty good for the price.

Detail-wise I wouldn't consider it a super big upgrade. The 598 WOULD be a big upgrade in terms of soundstage because the depth is definitely much better.

As for comfort, the 598 demolishes the M30X. Build quality is higher on the 598 but not by much. Still all plastic, but it's very light and doesn't seem to have any weak spots.

If you like the purely neutral and flat signature of the M30X, then I think you'll love the slightly warm but sparkly sound from the 598. It's definitely bass-light, but that's never bothered me since I picked up the 650.

Firstly the special edition should sound exactly the same as the original. Secondly, I think the 598 is a decent upgrade but it's also a good sidegrade. Having one open pair and one closed pair makes a nice versatile setup. With the 598 you get more attached and immersed in the music which is wonderful to experience. The 598 also doesn't need an amp, but would benefit from one.

Verdict: if you can get it for a good price, jump on it! Its the perfect open back for somebody looking to experience that type of headphone. It's almost impossible to really dislike the sound of the 598 :)
Thanks a lot for such detailed answer, I saw these headphones for 6k inr($95) during prime day sale, will wait for Diwali sale(mid October) on Amazon, I might be able to get it at a similar price.

Sep 4, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks a lot for such detailed answer, I saw these headphones for 6k inr($95) during prime day sale, will wait for Diwali sale(mid October) on Amazon, I might be able to get it at a similar price.
Sounds like a good deal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back