Is it worth upgrading from HD590 to HD600 for electronic music from mp3 source?
Jan 20, 2011 at 8:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

gregoire

New Head-Fier
I need your help, i'm in a quandary. Here's the background, i hope you can help.

I have been using a set of standard HD590s for almost a decade. I love the sound, but am attracted to the idea of a better sounding set of HD600s, possibly with a fancy cable. 80% of what i listen to is electronic music (tech-house, techno, d&b, dubstep, IDM, ambient), 20% is contemporary jazz, soul, hiphop, indie. I listen to 320k mp3s via an iPhone4 & have a PA2V2 coming in the post. I DJ'd dance music & hiphop for years in clubs and although i think i can hear fine, i fear that i might have caused at least some hearing damage.

Sp based on that, will i find a set of HD600s to sound obviously better? What would the differences be? I've read here that the HD590s are fairly bright sounding, would the HD600s sound a touch duller in the highs? Or will the HD600s simply blow me away!?

One other thing, i listen to 4-5 hours of music a day at work in the office. Do the HD600s leak more or less sound than the HD590s?

Thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #2 of 14
I used to have a pair of HD600s and I personally found them disappointing with electronic music, mainly due to the bass lacking quantity and punch for my tastes. I now use Ultrasone Pro900s for IDM, dubstep and DnB.

I can't comment on the HD590s as I've never heard them, but I can't imagine using the HD600s in an office environment and not annoying other people with sound leakage.

Jan 20, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #3 of 14
if you want the enjoy the hd600s you really need a good amp. there'll be no lack of bass then. they do leak sound, so not ideal for an office environment.

Jan 20, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
Given your music, source and amp, you might be happy enough with an HD238. Or just buy the HD600 used, that way it won't be too far off a new HD238.

? Are you saying that a hd238 sounds similar to a used hd600 (but presumably not to a new hd600)?

Jan 20, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #6 of 14
Thanks for the replies.

ProtegeManiac - I'm surprised you say a used HD600s wont sound as good as HD238s via my source?!

I should have said, i'm looking for an over the ear headphone. Ideally with velour pads as i want something comfortable i can wear all day.

I occasionally will use them for music production mastering via an Edirol UA25 soundcard.

Jan 21, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #7 of 14

depends on your source. hd600s need good amping. even so, chances are that even when underamped they sound pretty good.
Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

ProtegeManiac - I'm surprised you say a used HD600s wont sound as good as HD238s via my source?!

I should have said, i'm looking for an over the ear headphone. Ideally with velour pads as i want something comfortable i can wear all day.

I occasionally will use them for music production mastering via an Edirol UA25 soundcard.

Jan 21, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #8 of 14
I would have thought the Graham Slee Solo was adequate as an amp for the HD600.

I still found the bass not satisfying enough for electronic.

Of course it's down to the OP's tastes, but I really don't think the HD600s are the ideal can based on his genre preference and need for isolation.

Jan 21, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #9 of 14
It is, I think. It was specifically designed with the hd6x0 in mind.

Quote:
I would have thought the Graham Slee Solo was adequate as an amp for the HD600.

I still found the bass not satisfying enough for electronic.

Of course it's down to the OP's tastes, but I really don't think the HD600s are the ideal can based on his genre preference and need for isolation.

Jan 21, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #10 of 14
Although the HD600 might still sound better than the HD238, problem is maximizing it. You won't listen to source material that has intricate nuances and precise instrument placement, nor a source that will flesh out that much detail even with other material, nor an amp that will really get that thing going. With your music type and the amp you're gonna use, you need a can with a little more bass that needs a lot less power than the HD600, not to mention a much lower impedance. HD238 is all that and will save you money, too.

Although if you want isolation, then this is at a disadvantage. ATH-M50 is another option.

Jan 21, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #11 of 14
Considering your music taste and already having an open can you enjoy investing in a closed Pro900 sounds like a better option. I have the HD650 and while they are great cans they can't match the Pro900 for electronic and bass heavy music.

Jan 21, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #12 of 14
Thanks for the info!
The 900 is out of my price range really. Would a DT770 be a good option, it looks like a compfortable headphone. If so which version of it would work best with an iPhone or an iPhone and a pa2v2? 

Jan 25, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #14 of 14
Well thanks for the responses folks. I left the HD600s and bought a set of 80ohm DT770's instead to go with my PA2V2. I love the combination. The DT770s are super comfortable too which is key for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back