Is it worth putting Cardas on SR-60's?
Nov 15, 2008 at 3:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

vapman

Member of the Trade: bhobuds.com
I hate how much my Grado wires tangle and I'm certainly open to audio improvement. I'm thinking of putting two mini jacks on each ear and using about 2 feet of Cardas wire. Am I really going to notice any difference? If they're amped, they're either being driven by my laptop or NAD 3155.

Nov 15, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Am I really going to notice any difference?

No, but the wire will not be tangled and it may make your listening experience more enjoyable and seem like it sounds better
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 15, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #5 of 11
The beauty of Grado SR-60 headphones is that they are fantastic bargains at their price point. I'd not be inclined to mess with recabling, unless I was doing it myself. And then I'm not sure why I'd bother. Cardas cable ain't cheap and it seems overkill to recable a relatively cheap set of cans with expensive cable. I just wouldn't do itd except to avoid tangles if that really is irksome.

Nov 15, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 11
I actually like the Grado cable. The Y split could be better but the cable from the Y down is actually quite nice. It's flexible, tough, and uses individually jacketed conductors instead of the pain-in-the-ass coated wire woven with fiberglass that most manufacturers use.

It seems to be 22 or 24awg wire, 4 conductors individually jacketed with one outer jacket.

For an alternative to Cardas or Mogami, look at Canare Starquad or Canare Mini Starquad. Good stuff.

Nov 24, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #8 of 11
all the cable suggestions [mogami etc] are good ones but id say dont bother till you at least have some headphones more in the sr125/ms2i range cuz youll be spending about as much on the mod as you did on the headphones :p

Nov 24, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #9 of 11
It also seems that the gains from a recabling of the SR-60 would probably pale in comparison to using the 200 dollars from a cable to instead get a pair of SR225s?

Am I right on this?

Mar 25, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #11 of 11
+1 for not worth it.. .unless you want to just practice and try recabling for yourself!

good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back