is it worth having both Grado GS1000 and RS1?
Aug 2, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #2 of 7

Quote:
Do they have enough differences and moods that it's worth having both or is it better to just get one, the best one?

They are different enough and I don't think either one is  definitely "better" than the other.
Ideally you should try to listen to both and decide.  Otherwise you will just get conflicting opinions from everyone here.
Do a search and you will find more than enough information to confuse you.
Good luck!

Aug 2, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #3 of 7
Get both. Keep the one you want. Give the other to me. Sounds like a good deal to me. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #4 of 7
Those are two entirely different beasts, in my opinion.  My guess is that you'll enjoy one can more than the other for certain genres of music.  But, if you only listen to one type, then one might be better than the other (depending on your musical tastes).

Aug 2, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #5 of 7
^ yup they are definitely completely different. GS attempts to have more soundstage. Whether it does is arbitrary. I personally prefer the RS for it's more versatile sound. The GS just doesn't sound that good with rock or hip hop. The RS can do it a little better.

Aug 3, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 7
It depends on how much you appreciate the so-called "intimacy" factor which Grado is known for.
To me, that is the key downside for critical listening.
I just don't want to sit in the front rows in a concert every time.
For rock, maybe the first row is always better, but I don't listen to rock anyway.

The added distance from GS-1000 to me is just right, not too far like Beyerdynamic (except for T1) and not to close like RS.
It is the distance which I can either enjoy or analyze music depends on my mood.
It gives enough detail and information on recording location so you can easily tell whether you're sitting in a small recital hall or large concert hall.
It is unforgiving to lousy records, which is also important to critical listening.
For me, I don't need RS to bring intimacy, I'll just let the recording itself does the work.

Aug 3, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #7 of 7
If you were contemplating both RS1's and GS1000's you could get a pair of PS1000's for the same price. 

In my opinion these give you the best of the Grado attributes in one set of phones. 

See if you can audition a pair yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back