Is it worth getting external DAC and possibly a headphone amp for my setup?
Nov 13, 2022 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

UNCMo96

New Head-Fier
My current set up is as follows. Macbook pro 16 inch (intel) hooked up to Caldigit TS3 plus via thunderbolt 3. I use the headphone out to feed either Audio technica atx 40h's OR a setup with Mackie CR3s and a Makie cr8 sub. The ATs sound great to me. The Mackies sound decent. A litlte think in the midrange but the highs and lows are good. I was thinking about getting the shiit stack with the modi and magi so I have a DAC for the mackie set up and have a headphone amp for my ATs. Is it worth dropping the 200 bucks on this? Will I hear an improvement. From what I understand the caldigit has a cm6331a dac inside of it. I don't want to spend a ton of money my desk setup since I have a home theater and this is just for when I'm at my desk doing computer work. However, if it will improve the sound I'm willing to do it.

Nov 14, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #2 of 2
Despite the numerous recommendations the entry level Schiit stack receive, I'm going to suggest skipping them unless you want the headphones to get louder. The sound improvement with this DAC is marginal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back