Is it worth connecting a good player to my mojo chord?
Dec 12, 2016 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Anklaham

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, maybe a dumb question, but how much will I gain if I connect a good player to my mojo chord? Will it improve significantly over my phone? I am considering the pioneer XDP 100R or the fiio X5 II. I have the sony zx1, but it is made seemlingly impossible to connect it to the mojo. Any advice on this matter would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #2 of 8
No you won't have a significant increase in sound quality. I'd recommend to save up for better headphones to get the most out of your money. Usually, upgrading a DAC/Amp does not make a significant difference unless your headphones are underpowered, the DAC/Amp has noise issues and etc.

Dec 12, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #3 of 8
The sound of the Mojo cannot be overridden since the headphone output is driven by the DAC's analog output stage. I am unsure as to whether the sound of a DAP could be "mixed" with it.

I do know that some prefer the sound signature of certain DAPs over the Mojo, and I also know that many (if not most) prefer the Mojo over the sound of various DAPs. If I had to guess, I'd say that using an upgraded DAP with the Mojo would result in a sound that is either identical or worse, but not better.

But you already have the ZX1, which is fairly expensive. All you need to connect your ZX1 to your Mojo is a line out dock cable such as one from FiiO.

I second the recommendation to just get better headphones.

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #4 of 8
Hi, a belated thanks for your answers. The issue was not with my headphones (should've mentioned that). I'm pretty happy with my denon AH-MM400. After some thought and research I went for the pioneer xdp 100r (got a pretty good deal on that one). It turns out the combination of a hi-res player and the mojo does make a great deal of difference, the sound gets so much more depth and detail than any other combination I have tried. I questioned if the output source for music would make a great deal of difference and luckily (or considering the cost sadly) it does. A lot. 

Jan 19, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #5 of 8
  It turns out the combination of a hi-res player and the mojo does make a great deal of difference, the sound gets so much more depth and detail than any other combination I have tried.

Are you using line out? If so, that should bypass the onboard DAC and amp of the DAP. If not, it could be combining the sound of the DAP with the Mojo in a way you like.

Jan 20, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #6 of 8

​I connect my mojo to my player with a micro usb to micro usb, so it's probably the combination. A very knowledgable guy from a hifi store told me he didn't expect a standalone dac connected to a hi-res player would make a difference and that he regretted the day he tried because of the cost :'). The source definitely seems to influence the dac in a big way.

Jan 20, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #7 of 8
  ​I connect my mojo to my player with a micro usb to micro usb, so it's probably the combination. A very knowledgable guy from a hifi store told me he didn't expect a standalone dac connected to a hi-res player would make a difference and that he regretted the day he tried because of the cost :'). The source definitely seems to influence the dac in a big way.

If you use a line out connection (which is supposed to bypass the DAC and amp of the DAP) to the Mojo on multiple players, the difference between them should be less, if noticeable at all. But there are other factors that could change how it "should" work.

I have a Mojo now too, but only use it on a PC.

Jan 25, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #8 of 8
Yeah, probably. I can't use line out for my player or my phone though. I do know that when I use it on my pc or phone it doesn't sound the same level of detail and depth as it does when I use the player with my mojo. Hope you enjoy your mojo as much as I do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back