Is it the recording or my headphones?
Mar 21, 2016 at 12:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dtsang2710

New Head-Fier
I absolutely love Sia's vocals and her song - cheap thrills, however every time I listen to it through my Mad Dogs, there seems to be a high pitch artefact during her chorus and throughout the song. To be specific, it starts becoming noticeable when she sings "baby, I don't need no dollar bills...".

My setup is: Macbook Pro -> 02/odac -> Mad Dogs 3.2

I am not sure if this is part of the recording or something to do with my system, most likely not since other songs (16 bit and 44khz) sound perfect.

What do you guys think?

Mar 21, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #2 of 4
If it is only on that song, then it seems likely it is about that particular recording, IMO. FWIW, I experience similar things from time to time through my HE400S. I think the higher res the system (which yours certainly is), the more likely we are to pick up on these occasional artifacts. Just my two cents.

Mar 21, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #3 of 4

Thank you for your reply and I am going to agree with you. Having noticed it on that particular song, I went through a few songs from my library and found similar things but not as noticeable as on Cheap Thrills. 

Mar 24, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #4 of 4
I agree it is almost certainly the recording at fault. I have listened to so much stuff through my headphones (HD600 and HD650) that I KNOW exactly how they are going to treat everything in the recording and I have so much confidence in my system I never have to question if its the system or the recording. I think that is the one major quality of a good system,  consistently good performance on a wide variety of material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back