Is it still worth "investing" in 5.5 Gen. iPods/iMods? (sounds kinda strange, i know...)
May 21, 2013 at 6:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Ev0lution

Head-Fier
Hi everyone,
i just bought a HELL lot of parts for my 5.5g DIY mod, which im going to rebuild and upgrade soon to 256GB SSD (a few Front/Rear covers - thick,thin - just in case... (30/80GB), a new Clickwheel, 1 Battery, and a HP Jack.... etc. LOL) worth about 150 Bucks lol... it still hurts in my wallet but i just had to buy that stuff 
size]

Anyways, i just found that a eBay seller called compactix sells refubished 30GB 5Gen iPods wich are DIY Modded for 240 Bucks...
and im actually thinking of getting one of these right now... as.. hm a "Spare" lol 
What would you guys think? would it be stupid to buy one of these right now? I mean it's 2013... these things are... 8 Years old by now, i think... and if i would purchase another one it would be my 4th iPod lol 

btw the reason why i wanna buy i it is that they might run out of stock sooner or later and the 5th gen Ipod is just the only player out there that is THAT flexible in terms of storage... 

May 22, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 14
Sounds kinda strange? No not at all. I have collected most of the 5g's and 5.5g's in perfect working conditions sold by my local Craiglist sellers since last year. Of course they were sold to me at reasonable price - as low as 25 bucks for a 60GB and as high as $60 for a mint 80GB. With so many diymod options available on these 5g's or 5.5g's, one can easily turn it to a hobby to collect these ipods.

Now here is my dream ipod:

Rockboxed iPod 5.5g with a 512GB mSATA SSD drive and Kemet caps.

I want at least two of these dream ipods.
wink_face.gif

The rest can be used for music backup, diymod testing, or simply for collection's display.

May 22, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:
Hi everyone,
i just bought a HELL lot of parts for my 5.5g DIY mod, which im going to rebuild and upgrade soon to 256GB SSD (a few Front/Rear covers - thick,thin - just in case... (30/80GB), a new Clickwheel, 1 Battery, and a HP Jack.... etc. LOL) worth about 150 Bucks lol... it still hurts in my wallet but i just had to buy that stuff 
size]

Anyways, i just found that a eBay seller called compactix sells refubished 30GB 5Gen iPods wich are DIY Modded for 240 Bucks...
and im actually thinking of getting one of these right now... as.. hm a "Spare" lol 
What would you guys think? would it be stupid to buy one of these right now? I mean it's 2013... these things are... 8 Years old by now, i think... and if i would purchase another one it would be my 4th iPod lol 

btw the reason why i wanna buy i it is that they might run out of stock sooner or later and the 5th gen Ipod is just the only player out there that is THAT flexible in terms of storage... 

The old iriver 120 is up there as well.   Easy swop to 128gig ssd (done it myself) and can also be upgraded to 256 with msata and a couple of adapters.

I keep thinking about getting the ipod 5th gen and modding it, see the ssd modding thread and you'll see your not alone.  It's sad that the mp3 player market has gone backwards in most respects.

Cheers

May 22, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #4 of 14
Its a shame Apple don't still make these new. The product does so many things well, as well as looking elegant. Here in the UK they are quite expensive and we certainly wouldn't get a mint 80GB for $60, more like a faulty 30GB. I have a slightly irrational like for these players despite owning ones with superior sound quality, there is a charm associated with this product that many other manufacturers are unable to replicate.

May 23, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:
What I didn't know before was the caps could actually play such a big role to improve the already great sound form these ipod video's.

I`m going to DIYmod my IPod Video 80GB, what is the best solution - SSD or SD card? And which caps are the best now?

May 23, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
I`m going to DIYmod my IPod Video 80GB, what is the best solution - SSD or SD card? And which caps are the best now?

I only used the CF cards but there are other options also available. Currently I am waiting for the rockbox issue totally resolved on the mSATA then I will be able to swap in at least a 256GB mSATA ssd drive.

As for the caps, the Silmic II's and the Wima's have been used by many head-fi'ers. But recently I tried the Kemet film caps and I love them.

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #10 of 14
Don't these have either high output impedances and/or too small coupling capacitors before the headphone jack? I think that's what RWA makes his line out only.

Not something a film cap can correct. We're talking about adding 100s of uF's and still being careful with earphone selection for optimum results.

These may sound good with the right combo but maxing out at redbook-ish res and their drive capability does date them a bit.

Feb 21, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #11 of 14
  Currently I am waiting for the rockbox issue totally resolved on the mSATA then I will be able to swap in at least a 256GB mSATA ssd drive.

Are they still working on that?

Feb 21, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #12 of 14

Don't these have either high output impedances and/or too small coupling capacitors before the headphone jack? I think that's what RWA makes his line out only.

Not something a film cap can correct. We're talking about adding 100s of uF's and still being careful with earphone selection for optimum results.

These may sound good with the right combo but maxing out at redbook-ish res and their drive capability does date them a bit.

Here are my two favorites:
1. 3F caps, yes 3,000,000 uf caps
2. zero uf caps

I go extreme.

Are they still working on that?

Nope, and the attempt failed. So it's official the msata's won't be compatible with rockbox. Also the msata drives have heat issue and drain battery fast.

What I have now is a diymod with a 256GB CF card  and also rockboxed with excellent battery performance.

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #13 of 14

Users who are viewing this thread

Back