Is it safe to use open headphones next to a fan?
Jun 27, 2011 at 12:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

TobaccoRoad

500+ Head-Fier
I don't have an air conditioner at home, so I usually have this big fan next to me when I'm on the computer. I was wondering if this would harm the open grills in any way. Probably not a big deal, but I figure precaution wouldn't hurt. The fan is about 5 feet away and is on full speed.

Jun 27, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #2 of 33
do you have a problem using the fan like that and with no headphones on?
if no, then it shouldnt be a problem with open headphones on.

what a weird thread 
blink.gif

Jun 27, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #4 of 33

Quote:
I don't have an air conditioner at home, so I usually have this big fan next to me when I'm on the computer. I was wondering if this would harm the open grills in any way. Probably not a big deal, but I figure precaution wouldn't hurt. The fan is about 5 feet away and is on full speed.

As long as you don't have Grados with the grilles removed, it should be OK.......

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 33
Using a fan is good. It opens the soundstage and the moving air lowers the sibilance. Its really great!
It does fade the music to the opposite side of where the fan stands.

On a serious note, it does not harm your cans. I use a fan regulary due toi ionsane heat here in holland atm.

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #8 of 33
Could the OP be worried about what stronger air flow would do on open headphones? Or am I understanding it completely wrong?

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #9 of 33

Quote:
Could the OP be worried about what stronger air flow would do on open headphones? Or am I understanding it completely wrong?

Yep this pretty much. I know it's highly unlikely but you never know. On Sennheiser manual it warns "do not cover the transducers!" as if covering the grills with hands is a serious issue. If something simple as that could be a problem then I assume using a fan besides it isn't a good idea.

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #10 of 33

Quote:
Yep this pretty much. I know it's highly unlikely but you never know. On Sennheiser manual it warns "do not cover the transducers!" as if covering the grills with hands is a serious issue. If something simple as that could be a problem then I assume using a fan besides it isn't a good idea.

I'd assume that it won't do harm, at least on the levels produced by a consumer fan. Still, if it was that sensitive, then I'd think there wouldn't be any open headphones around, so you might be safe. Honestly, it's an interesting question, but I'm not really familiar enough with open headphones to give a proper answer :frowning2:

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #11 of 33
Heya,

I've riden around in my jeep with the windows down wearing open-air headphones (even did it with my HD580's) for years.

Doesn't do anything except muffle the sound since you're allowing all that wind/noise leak in and rush out.

You'll be fine. So will your headphones.

atsmile.gif

Very best,

Jun 30, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #12 of 33

Quote:
Using a fan is good. It opens the soundstage and the moving air lowers the sibilance. Its really great!
It does fade the music to the opposite side of where the fan stands.

On a serious note, it does not harm your cans. I use a fan regulary due toi ionsane heat here in holland atm.

Just use 2 fans, one on each side, for that fancy "stereo" fan effect!

Jun 30, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #13 of 33
Just don't let dust get inside (especially the open grados)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back