Is it possible to run two different soundcards in a single computer?
May 13, 2007 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sonick

500+ Head-Fier
I have a pre-built Compaq computer (running windows XP) that comes with it's own on-board internal soundcard, with front-output/input jacks along with the rear ones. The problem with it is, as convenient as it may be, the quality is not sufficient for a music class I am taking.

I have a Chaintech AV710 unused in my old computer that this Compaq replaced, and I want to put it in the Compaq for my own use, but still keep the full functionality of the front input jacks for the rest of the family which the onboard sound is sufficient.

Looking at the Chaintech, I could not see any internal jumpers to hook up the front-jacks onto (specifically line out, mic-in, and headphone out).

Therein lies my question, is it possible to run two different soundcards in one computer? I am fine with having to go into the software settings switching back and forth between sound drivers each time.

Thanks

May 13, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #2 of 7
I'm not sure if it's possible in your situation (onboard sound aka AC97 can be tricky), but I currently run two soundcards in my computer. AV-710 via optical for music, and an old Audigy for everything else. Works like a charm.

It wouldn't hurt anything to try it out. Just keep the onboard sound as default and set Foobar (or whatever program you use) to output through the AV-710.

On a side note Compaq still builds computers? I thought HP bought them out.

May 13, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks, I guess I'll just give it a try.

HP builds them for compaq, but it's still under the Compaq name.

It was just a cheap boxing day sale PC we picked up as a general use family computer.

May 13, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Therein lies my question, is it possible to run two different soundcards in one computer? I am fine with having to go into the software settings switching back and forth between sound drivers each time.

Thanks

My experience with XP is that there should be no problem at all. Leave the onboard sound as the default in XP under Sounds and Audio Devices in Control Panel, but select the Chaintech as the preferred device in the software you are using for your class, if it allows that--or you might have to change it back and forth as you suggest via Sounds and Audio Devices, if the software for your coursework only can use the default devices under XP.

What makes me curious, though, is this--what are you doing that makes the onboard sound unacceptable? I'm no musician, but I 'm fairly certain that if you are doing composition on the PC and need better quality MIDI output to listen to your work that the Chaintech isn't going to help at all--it would use the same software=based Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth MIDI functionality as the onboard sound (saxes would still sound like kazoos, etc.)

May 13, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 7
yes, you can always switch them around by using the sound device managing section of XP

I had on board sound card, x-fi, and Juli@ installed on the same computer before, it works fine

May 13, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #6 of 7
x2

I have both an onboard soundcard on my laptop and a PCMCIA soundcard working at the same time. It's set up with the laptop soundcard selected in the Control Panel and the PCMCIA card selected in foobar.

May 14, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #7 of 7
I have onboard, PCI, and USB all working fine right now
Some cards could conflict, but no reason not to try.
Are you able to disable the onboard sound in your computer's BIOS? That is an option on mine (self-built though)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back