Is it possible to replicate 1000 dollar headphones with an app?
May 25, 2013 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

thatBeatsguy

Headphoneus Supremus
   To start this post off, I want to remind you that I'm not talking about physical replicas here - It's the sound that I'm talking about.

I've been using this really awesome app called Accudio Pro for over a week, and so far the results are stunning. I would like to hear from other users of this app and know whether or not you can replicate a $1,000 headphone's sound with only this five-dollar app and a pair of Monster Beats Pros.

For those who don't know what it is, Accudio Pro is a powerful app that was made to alter your listening experience. It is designed to tweak a headphone's frequencies to create 'true flat' sound. Of course, even the developer acknowledges that 'true flat sound' is almost impossible to replicate; even then, they've tested and tweaked the frequencies of over 300 headphones - some of them including the beyerdynamic Tesla T1, the Audeze LCD-2, and the Sennheiser HD800. Of course, this sounds absolutely crazy, but the people over at Golden Ears seem to be determined to do it.

But I'm looking for something else: someone who has both Accudio Pro and one of the $1000 headphones I mentioned above. I want to know from a listener who has both headphones to tell me if Accudio Pro is able to replicate the sound of one of these really expensive headphones. Because what I'm trying to prove is that even with only $100 headphones and an iPod Touch, iPhone, or iPad, you can listen to the songs with the sound of headphones ten times its price.

If you're one of those people, please reply. Those who own this app would love to have this valuable piece of info.

May 26, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #2 of 8
Bump bump.
deadhorse.gif

May 26, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #3 of 8
I might give the app a shot at some point, but I'm skeptical. Of course with a good amount of tweakage you can alter the sound signature and perhaps add a little bit of artificial clarity to it, but if the drivers of the headphones/IEMs themselves aren't able to replicate the speed, precision or various other characteristics of the real deal, that's all it's gonna be.

You'll get a hunch about how the headphones will approximately sound like, but I wouldn't really use them for more than to test for the preferred sound signature while considering to buy some of the 'spensive things. And only if you aren't otherwise able to audition them.

May 26, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
You'll get a hunch about how the headphones will approximately sound like, but I wouldn't really use them for more than to test for the preferred sound signature while considering to buy some of the 'spensive things. And only if you aren't otherwise able to audition them.

Well, that's probably the main point of asking my question. In my area (China FYI), you don't get to audition many of the high-end headphones. They are availabe, but only online. As such, in my case you'll never be able to listen to them...

May 26, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #5 of 8
App is just app. it just colors sound and/or distorts sound. It basically presents a sound signature that may "wow" you a little bit at the beginning or from time to time but as you listen more you will realize it's fake.

In the end, app can't improve separation, clarity and cleanness. Yeah it may give you that delusion of bigger sound stage and/or more bass, but that doesn't come without a price - which is colored sound probably with loss of details and clarity.

On the other hand, a pair of $1000 phones can only sound so much better on a mediocre dap. It can't turn a lousy dap to great sounding.

Just my 2 cents.

May 26, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
App is just app. it just colors sound and/or distorts sound. It basically presents a sound signature that may "wow" you a little bit at the beginning or from time to time but as you listen more you will realize it's fake.

I know and am aware of this. I've tried many equalizers over the years, but until Accudio none of them really gave a sound with clarity that I found in Accudio. I am fully aware of an equalizer's 'habit' of coloring, distorting, and/or altering sound and the fact that it always comes out fake. Even if some die-hard audiophiles despise EQs, I still use them, whether you think it wrong or not.
In the end, app can't improve separation, clarity and cleanness. 

A very true statement.
Yeah it may give you that delusion of bigger sound stage and/or more bass, but that doesn't come without a price - which is colored sound probably with loss of details and clarity.

Well, I'll have to make Accudio's EQ part of the lesser portion of that 'probably.' Accudio's custom EQ can get really 'poppy' when you crank it up, but their preset tweaks are powerful and (in my case) even improve the headphones' sound.

May 26, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #7 of 8
you can't, EQ can only change so much of the sound of the current headphone you are using , accudio doesn't gives you the sound of HD 800 when you select HD800 with it , it gives you an EQ that will make the HD800 sounds flat .No EQ can make a beats headphone sounds like a LCD 2, or the HE 6

What you are trying to prove is probably a lost cause

May 26, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
you can't, EQ can only change so much of the sound of the current headphone you are using , accudio doesn't gives you the sound of HD 800 when you select HD800 with it , it gives you an EQ that will make the HD800 sounds flat .No EQ can make a beats headphone sounds like a LCD 2, or the HE 6

What you are trying to prove is probably a lost cause

To be honest with you, I have to agree...
However, I do like the effect that the EQ has added to my Beats. They now have more volume in the mid-high range, which is a big improvement in the SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back