Is it possible to re-cable a Klipsch Custom 3?
Feb 6, 2010 at 5:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Kunlun

Headphoneus Supremus
The reviews say it's has great sound, but a crappy cord, so it is possible to re-cable it?

I'm not much of a DIY-er, but are there companies or people who would do a professional, quality job on it (not looking to get scammed!)?

Thanks.

Feb 6, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #2 of 12
Are you spying on me?
smily_headphones1.gif
I was just googling that with no luck. Hopefully there is someone out there with info on taking the housing apart without butchering it. I already have some nice teflon wire I would like to use.

Feb 8, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #5 of 12
I don't want to pay for a recable job as DIY'ing it is half the fun.
smily_headphones1.gif
It also sounds like UM would have to do a remold and not just a straight recable job. I don't have that kind of cash right now anyway.

If anyone out there has a set of custom 3's that are no longer functional and would be willing to send them to me I would be willing to make a custom 3 recabling tutorial. I would pay for shipping of course. I am in between jobs right now and I love my c3's too much to risk destroying them when I don't have the cash to replace them. If not, I guess I'll just have to wait until the cable comes apart and I'm forced to recable them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #6 of 12
For what it's worth, you can remove the braided outer jacket on the cord which leaves you with a normal, more flexible, less noisey cable. I have the Custom 2s and was looking into all sorts of things to improve the microphonics and stiffness of the cable, including recovering it with latex tubing, or shrink tubing, or something (granted those things would have helped with microphonics but but increased stiffness). Then I tried using some 200 grit sandpaper to try and soften the braided fabric, and after a couple stokes I ripped right through it. I used some really small, really sharp surgical scissors to cut through the rest.

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #7 of 12
Thanks, but I'm one of those crazy people that wants to put some 24awg silver teflon wire on his IEM's. I know many will say that cables can't make an audible difference, especially with IEM's, but 22awg silver teflon wire made a sweet improvement for my tf10's, imo.

Feb 8, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #8 of 12
I emailed kim at FisherHearing to see if they can do cable replacement without doing custom earmolds or any of that.

I'll post back here with the answer.

I wonder if Prof. Thump would comment on re-wiring a custom 3 if we asked him?

Feb 8, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #9 of 12
That sounds like a good idea Kunlun. I think I'll shoot him PM with a link to this thread and see if he can answer any of our questions. Hopefully helping us out won't violate any company policies.

Feb 8, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kunlun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I emailed kim at FisherHearing to see if they can do cable replacement without doing custom earmolds or any of that.

I'll post back here with the answer.

I wonder if Prof. Thump would comment on re-wiring a custom 3 if we asked him?

the same chap who was arguing blind that klipsch had absolutely not changed the cable they were putting on these

Users who are viewing this thread

Back