Is it possible to hook an MP3 player up to a receiver?
Mar 19, 2007 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Jigen

Head-Fier
I like my MP3 player for on the go, but I do a lot of listening at home as well, and I like the convenience of having all of my music on one device. I don't want to have to use CDs. Is this possible? Also, I have a Xin amp on the way. If it is possible to hook an MP3 player up to a receiver, is it possible to hook the amp up into it as well? This way I don't have to use the headphone jack on the receiver. By the way, I will listen using headphones all the time. I'm not a big fan of speakers for my current situation. Too many people around that would complain.

Or maybe I would be better off just sticking with the Xin amp/MP3 player set-up?

Thanks for the help.

Mar 19, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #2 of 12
"Is it possible to hook an MP3 player up to a receiver?"

Yes.

From a dock's line out, from a portable dock's line out, from the headphone out (less desirable in most cases) ... connect the player to the "Aux In" on the receiver, and you have a home jukebox. This adds a lot of usability to whatever player you have ...

Mar 20, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #3 of 12
If you'll have a portable amp (which Xin amp are you getting?) , you shouldn't need to use the receivers headphone jack. This depends on which Xin amp and how efficient your headphones are.

There should be no reason to connect the Xin amp to the receiver. If you want to amp your mp3 player with the receiver you'll need a simple 1/8" stereo to dual (L&R) RCA cable. These can be found for less than $10.

A better option, depending on which player you have, is to use a line out dock- if your player supports this. If this option is possible with your player it is highly recommended for use with a portable amp.

Mar 20, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #4 of 12
Supermini IV.

Here's the thing. I've been planning on going with this set-up: Creative Zen Vision: M, line out dock, and Supermini IV. But then I got the idea that this set-up through a receiver, if possible, might sound better. I could be wrong on that. I'm new to this hobby, and I'm just trying to figure out all of my possibilities here to get the best sound possible. If the receiver won't make much of a difference, or any difference at all in SQ when compared to the set-up without the receiver, I think I'll just stick with that one. What do you think?

Mar 20, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #5 of 12
What are your headphones?

I personally would never consider connecting one of my portable amps into my receiver as a line in. It just isn't necessary but it shouldn't hurt to try but I see no advantage over simply using the player straight into the receiver.

I used to use a Zen Vision:M>LOD> SuperMini, still have the Mini-it's a great amp. With the gain on high it'll sound pretty good with many full size headphones,atleast mine that I've tried it with.

Mar 20, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #6 of 12
Right now just the Etymotic ER4P's. Ety's are supposed to sound really great with the Xin amps, and the Mini has the impedance switch to turn the P's into the ER4S's.

I've read that the headphone jacks on receivers aren't the greatest (maybe that's not true, I don't know). That is the main reason why I wanted to work the amp into my set-up if I did go with a receiver. This way I could just bypass that whole thing and listen through the amp. But maybe the headphone jacks aren't as bad as I thought. I will just have to test it on a receiver if I ever get the chance. I don't own one right now.

Mar 20, 2007 at 10:29 AM Post #7 of 12
I also have the ER4P and this was my monitor with the ZV:M & Mini. I always use the P>S conversion and bass boost on the Mini. The sound is very,very good. Once you hear this combo you should never want to use a receiver, if you try it i'm almost certain that you'd find it inferior.

I now use 80 GB iPod>LOD>Mini>ER4P.
etysmile.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what I wanted to hear. It makes things much easier for me.

Thanks for the help.
etysmile.gif

You're welcome. Be sure to give your impressions when you get the Mini, hopefully you're not too far back in the infamous "wait as the seasons change" Xin order of things
blink.gif

icon10.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #10 of 12
To be honest, I find that simply using RCA to mini end straight into the headphone jack of my iPod is JUST FINE. I don't have my receiver hooked up my my nice speakers at the moment, so it could be that I'm not hearing the artifacts or whatever, but I'd suggest that if you don't have a really high end system (including speakers) doing it that way is totally fine.

My current receiver is an Onkyo TXSV 515 btw. The cable will cost you about 12$ from Radio Shack. Try it before going all dock/line out/amp etc..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back