Is it possible to alter sound by a poor solder job?
May 9, 2013 at 6:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Search11

New Head-Fier
I'm not really sure how to title this and gain attention.. but let me explain my situation.

I've had a pair of Sennheiser HD598s for a little over a year now. My dog chewed the headband a little and while it does remain fully functional, it was terrible to look at. I couldn't readily find a replacement and didn't want to pay Senn. to repair them as there's no telling what it would cost. Well, I found a new headband a few weeks ago. A quick trip across the Atlantic and I had them in my hands Monday. Last night I went into the shop to do the job. 

I'm sure you guys know how these are wired up. A double wire runs through the headband and the ends of the two wires are soldered onto a circuit board in each side. So, here is how I did the swap: Heat each piece of solder and pull the old wire out, careful not to distort the solder and move it. Then heat the solder back up and slide the wire back into it. 

Left ear piece was a resounding success on removal and replacement. Right side.. I accidentally slipped and the pieces of solder ended up touching. So a quick heat up and I split the bubbles apart. At this point, this is the only thing that has gone remotely wrong, although it didn't worry me.

Ok, so a quick run back into the house and plug them back up and hey.. sound is working fine in both pieces and I have a new looking set of 598s.

So the problem is I sat down and started playing some music to listen to make sure there was no difference. I think I worried myself to the point I'm making myself hear things. In my head, I think I'm hearing certain notes (Not sure of correct term here) playing in one side but not the other. So question for you very technical guys.. Is there a possibility I could have altered the sound quality?

May 9, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #3 of 6
Highly unlikely unless you have a improper (Cold) solder joint on the one side. Put the headphones on backwards and see if the sound follows the in the same cup.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

May 9, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #4 of 6
To be honest man, I kind of know in my head that it's just the way songs are recorded. Similar to how on an intro a guitar might be in one ear and not the other. Then at some points the drums in the background might be strong in one ear. 

I had a feeling I might not have pushed the wire to the bottom and touching the board and it's just "floating" in the solder. Although I don't know enough about electrical related things to know if that means anything.

It's one of those things I think I thought about it too hard and now pay attention to it a lot closer haha

May 9, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #5 of 6
Shouldn't be a problem as long as you kept the polarity the same (I get very anal about keeping the polarity correct when doing a recable).  Also, for the next time you should probably add a bit more solder to your connection, tin the wire, etc.  One thing I've noticed, and I was thinking I was just being crazy about it is that vocals are slightly recorded to the left, maybe I am crazy know knows, but other people have confirmed that also.  As long as you made a good connection, there's no reason it should sound any different, on the other hand if you did a poor job it's possible for the sound to be worse...I've done this a couple of times on recables, I'll listen and think something doesn't sound right, and I didn't make a good solder connection, resoldered, listened again and everything was good again.

May 9, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #6 of 6
 One thing I've noticed, and I was thinking I was just being crazy about it is that vocals are slightly recorded to the left, maybe I am crazy know knows, but other people have confirmed that also. 

I think I have to agree with you here. It's something I wish I had never thought about lol because now I'm sitting here going through song after song listening for what has a stronger presence in each ear. It's distracting haha

I appreciate the answers. While I do think I can do a decent solder, I've never touched anything this expensive nor audio related. It was kind of an afterthought that maybe I was out of my league. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back