Is it ok to place a pair of small book shelf speakers on a dresser?
Oct 30, 2002 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Tom M

500+ Head-Fier
The system would be for a bedroom. There is not alot of space in here and I'm forced to use the long wall to place equipment. There is also alot of furnature making for rather crammed quarters. I was thinking of placing a small pair of book shelf speakers on the dresser hoping this might work in my situation. speakers will only be about 2ft apart depeding on the width of the speaker cabinet but I will only be about 4ft from them. Also, do to the dresser being 40 inches tall the speakers will be a little high off the ground but I tend to listen with speakers when I'm getting dressed or folding clothes. At other times I tend to listen with headphones. Speakers for me tend to be a secondary way of listening to music but I would still like it to sound decent if possible. Given the distances I've stated would it be at all possible to get a good albeit not great sound with that kind of set up.

Oct 30, 2002 at 4:55 PM Post #3 of 6
Well IMO with only 2ft between them your probably not going to have much of a soundstage.

The reason for stands is to couple the speaker to the floor which tightens bass and focuses the image better among other things. Putting them on a desk will most likely have a detrimental affect to some degree and I would expect to a large degree. You might try using blue tack (sp?) or something similar between the speakers and dresser to help with coupling to the dresser.

Also are they rear ported? How close to the back wall will they be? Rear ported speakers usually like to have a bit of room from the back wall or they will become boomy. Some speakers are designed to use the back wall to increase the bass so you may be ok.

Hope that helped,

Phil

Oct 30, 2002 at 5:59 PM Post #4 of 6
I would be useing small front ported book shelf. Even though two feet apart may not provide much of a sound stage the listening distance of 4ft or less would probably help. It's been my opinion that if you are 1-2 time the distance from the speakers as the speakers are apart then you should be fine. Yes I know 2ft apart is really pushing things but this room is very small. If the room was larger I would place them on good stands and position them for opimal sound. unfortunatly I can't.
frown.gif
That's why I use headphones more of the time. Beside I think I like headphones better than speakers. I would probably continue to use headphones even if I could place a pair of speakers properly.
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2002 at 3:29 AM Post #5 of 6
Lots of room for experimentation. Think out of the box (pardon the pun). If you lay the cabinets on their side you can cheat a bit and hang the tweeter end off the side of the dresser. Voila, wider soundstage, and lower tweeter. Anything else around the same height in there? One speaker on the dresser and one on another surface is acceptable. They don't have to go against the wall. Don't get trapped by the room symmetry. Visualize the relationship that you want between yourself and the speakers and rotate the room around it. You will discover various solutions, all of which are fun to try out.

Now go play!

gerG

Oct 31, 2002 at 3:44 AM Post #6 of 6
Is it such a good idea to improve the coupling of the speakers to a DRESSER? I imagine the doors would start rattling or something
eek.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back