Is it OK for my headphones if I always play my iPod at full volume?
Sep 7, 2009 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

ThePope3290

100+ Head-Fier
I'm always worrying about blowing one of the drivers since I always have the volume to max. But that's the only way I can fully enjoy the music, and it sounds great. They are the M-Audio Q40's by the way. Thanks in advance.

Sep 7, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #4 of 20
I suspect that if you can handle the volume, then it wouldn't be much of a problem for the headphone.

On the other hand, if the drivers indeed blow up, then I suspect that you'll be going deaf in the process and wouldn't be posting here much longer.

Sep 7, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #6 of 20
I dont believe some of the responses I'm seeing here. My concern is always for the hearing of the person involved when I see a post like this. Even on my hard-to-drive phones, I cant recall ever having a DAP at 'full blast', and it would damage my hearing on the more sensitive/lower impedance headphones I own. In short, you need to replace one of the following:

- your DAP
- your headphones
- your ears

Clearly, the first two options are considerably easier than the last.

Sep 7, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #7 of 20
Is it OK for your headphones? Yes, but you probably won't be needing them much longer since your hearing will go pretty quick at those volumes! When you go deaf, can I have them?

Sep 7, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #8 of 20
116dB SPL/1mW sensitivity with 64Ω impedance isn't particularly difficult to drive, even with iPod. Just remember: While it might be fine for the headphone to get loud, the same can not be said to your hearing.

Sep 7, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #9 of 20
Pardon?

Sep 7, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #10 of 20
if you're a big fan of your hearing, you may want to consider turning your iPod down
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
116dB SPL/1mW sensitivity with 64Ω impedance isn't particularly difficult to drive, even with iPod. Just remember: While it might be fine for the headphone to get loud, the same can not be said to your hearing.

IIRC the Q40s had 80 ohms resistance...huh looks like the site says 64 ohms. I do remember them being just a tad hard to drive though, I had to get pretty close to the max of my cowon 7 and U5 to get proper volume at the time. No DAP will have enough power to break them though, by that point your ears will have more damage than the phones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #13 of 20
There are times I run my etys all the way up on the ipod. Cutting and trimming the yard, leafblowing, loud mechanical rooms, driving with the windows and sunroof open. Only thing it would affect is battery life. (of course your hearing won't last long but you may die tomorrow so why save it)

Sep 7, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #14 of 20
use them til they blow and then you can justify the purchase of a new set of cans ... plus that will give you something to look forward to ... as for your hearing I think we've all made certain compromises given our collective affliction

Sep 7, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are times I run my etys all the way up on the ipod... driving with the windows and sunroof open...

I certainly hope that this is not something you actually do as driving while wearing headphones is quite dangerous, let alone IEMs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back