is it me or do laptops sounds better than ipods?
Feb 10, 2010 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

oregon

100+ Head-Fier
I listen to my headphones (ADDIEM, Creative Aurvana Live, Sony MDR-NC60) out of either my ipod touch or my MacBook pro. Just now I was looking up Judas Priest live videos (pretty disappointing tbh), then listening to painkiller on both devices, and I think the laptop sounds better. Anyone else notice this?

BTW, I am comparing same audio files on each (not just low quality live videos).

Feb 11, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #3 of 33
That's because a laptop has a lot more power applied to the amp circuit. It has a bigger, more capable battery that can drive the amp.

An iPod is engineered for maximum battery life, so it skimps on power output.

The sound quality of an iPod is pretty good, but people confuse that with amplifier power.

Feb 11, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's because a laptop has a lot more power applied to the amp circuit. It has a bigger, more capable battery that can drive the amp.

An iPod is engineered for maximum battery life, so it skimps on power output.

The sound quality of an iPod is pretty good, but people confuse that with amplifier power.

Okay, I thought it would have something to do with the iPod giving less power to headphones.

Are you saying that the iPod actually has equal (or close to equal) quality, and the difference is just due to less power? Or is there actual fidelity difference?

Feb 11, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by oregon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, I thought it would have something to do with the iPod giving less power to headphones.

Are you saying that the iPod actually has equal (or close to equal) quality, and the difference is just due to less power? Or is there actual fidelity difference?

Line out to a quality amp will astound you.

Feb 11, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #6 of 33
Is it just me or does anything sound better than an ipod?
wink.gif

But yeah, I agree -

Laptop > DAC > Amp > Phones

Will eat

DAP > Phones

for breakfast any day of the week.

Feb 11, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be honest I don't think it would be all that hard to beat the SQ of an ipod.

Ohh thats funny mate, serious ROFL
k701smile.gif

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Gateway, on the other hand, has an atrocious headphone out. Depends on what laptop and what headphone out circuit it has, really.

Pretty much.

Feb 11, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #11 of 33
Not just you!
Just compare the physical size of a laptop vs. an iPod, then imagine that less compromises have been needed to squeeze a "decent" amplifier into it.

Feb 11, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #12 of 33
I would never listen to either an iPod or a laptop from their own built-in headphone amps. Line-out (or usb out) to a real headphone amp is the only way to go.

Feb 11, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would never listen to either an iPod or a laptop from their own built-in headphone amps. Line-out (or usb out) to a real headphone amp is the only way to go.

Now having a new laptop, I've a few questions on this. What is a good value in USB->mini type cable, and does such a beast exist? If not, how do you get the audio out? Do you use iTunes as the player or is there software considerations for true line-out signal. I do have a nice iBasso amp to power the IEMs at that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back