Is it just me or people starting to get greedy on eBay?
Feb 26, 2006 at 5:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

nsjong

Headphoneus Supremus
MODS please delete if you find this thread a bit "revealing."

I may be giving new sellers ideas... but this should get out.

ebay.jpg

You can see there that the bidder with (0) feedback bids a lot...
And in his profile, he joined in September 2004.

Most you probably know this, but it's obvious that the user with (0) feedback is another account the seller made.
They use the second account to bid secretly to expose the maximum hidden bid (they can cancel their bid and bid again, like a dollar below the maximum bid) or to bid higher, forcing desperate buyers to bid more so that the seller can get the most money out of this.

What do you guys think of this?

I think eBay should do something about this...
mad.gif

Feb 26, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #2 of 26
Yeah

I figure this goes on a lot.

That is why the best policy is for everyone just to bid once at the last minute. Bybidding early buyers just screw each other and expose themselves to unscrupulous sellers

Feb 26, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #3 of 26
The fact that eBay makes more money off the final value fee if the amount is higher can easily explain why this is still happening. IP logging would negate this immediately. eBay would just rather reap the extra profit.

Feb 26, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #6 of 26
This kinda stuff has been happening for a long time. Just how it is.

Feb 26, 2006 at 6:13 AM Post #7 of 26
It's called shill bidding. It's as old as the concept of the auction itself.

It's been a problem with eBay for a long long time. And it's listed as against the policies of eBay.

And does eBay do anything about it?

No.

Why? Because eBay makes more money when an auction uses shill bidding to up the price.

-Ed

Feb 26, 2006 at 6:46 AM Post #8 of 26
Okay, let me get this straight.
Anytime I see a bidder with 0 feedback bumping up the price, it is mostly likely a shill bidder?
I haven't run into this yet.

Feb 26, 2006 at 6:48 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.PD
Anytime I see a bidder with 0 feedback bumping up the price, it is mostly likely a shill bidder?

Not necessarily most likely, but definitley possible. It happens often on eBay.

Feb 26, 2006 at 7:16 AM Post #10 of 26
No, people are getting stupid on eBay.

How about a 1993 Japanese motorcycle, a "different" one, put on eBay with the usual bull of "collectable!". The bike was $10,000 new in 1993.

Not only did the bidding get up to $7,300 (for a used 13 year old Japanese bike (in admittedly good condition))...it still didn't reach reserve!!!

And people constantly are bidding over value for things - they just don't have a clue.

Quote:

For sure it's got to be shill bidding. It's "interesting" how one computer repair part that I was just keeping track of - and got bidded up during the final hour - was supposedly won. I say "supposedly" because less than 2 hours later...it got relisted!! And My eBay was notified of the relisting!!

So exactly how does something get "won" but relisted 2 hours later???!

It's totaly bulls#$t! (and I have the saved eBay listing links to prove it!)

Feb 26, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake
No, people are getting stupid on eBay.

How about a 1993 Japanese motorcycle, a "different" one, put on eBay with the usual bull of "collectable!". The bike was $10,000 new in 1993.

Not only did the bidding get up to $7,300 (for a used 13 year old Japanese bike (in admittedly good condition))...it still didn't reach reserve!!!

And people constantly are bidding over value for things - they just don't have a clue.

For sure it's got to be shill bidding. It's "interesting" how one computer repair part that I was just keeping track of - and got bidded up during the final hour - was supposedly won. I say "supposedly" because less than 2 hours later...it got relisted!! And My eBay was notified of the relisting!!

So exactly how does something get "won" but relisted 2 hours later???!

It's totaly bulls#$t! (and I have the saved eBay listing links to prove it!)

It's not necessarily shill bidding. I've seen a few of my listed items get bid up legitimately by 0 feedback members. Bear in mid that 0 feedback members are newbs and don't necessarily understand the concept of auctions.

Feb 26, 2006 at 8:08 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeek
It's not necessarily shill bidding. I've seen a few of my listed items get bid up legitimately by 0 feedback members. Bear in mid that 0 feedback members are newbs and don't necessarily understand the concept of auctions.

I was saying that my example for sure was shill bidding - 1 hour 20 minutes after being "won" the item was relisted for sale.

Does eBay care? Nope.

Feb 26, 2006 at 11:48 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
MODS please delete if you find this thread a bit "revealing."

I may be giving new sellers ideas... but this should get out.

ebay.jpg

You can see there that the bidder with (0) feedback bids a lot...
And in his profile, he joined in September 2004.

Most you probably know this, but it's obvious that the user with (0) feedback is another account the seller made.
They use the second account to bid secretly to expose the maximum hidden bid (they can cancel their bid and bid again, like a dollar below the maximum bid) or to bid higher, forcing desperate buyers to bid more so that the seller can get the most money out of this.

What do you guys think of this?

I think eBay should do something about this...
mad.gif

I had something like this happen to me when I was bidding for a used Terratec soundcard. I made the mistake of not researching prices first before bidding and put my max bid higher than the new price. As soon as I realised that grave mistake, I saw another bidder (with 0 feedback) start "upping" the bid price and end up topping my own. Obviously I was happy to let him win the over-priced auction. Soon after the auction closed though, I received an e-mail from the seller for a second-chance sale.
smily_headphones1.gif

I never bothered to reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back