Is it just me being too sensitive ?
Jan 15, 2008 at 2:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

nc8000

Headphoneus Supremus
I have since I rejoined here earlier this year experienced several times something that bugs me no end. When I pm a seller in the for sale threads asking info or proposing a prise (no low ball offers or insults here) I never get a reply. I would estimate that it happens in about 1 out of 10 requests. To me it is polite to at least answer a pm if for no other reason than to inform the sender that the offer is not acceptable for some reason or you don't want to talk to me. Is this just me being to sensitive or isn't it a reasonable expectation or could there be some technical reason so the receiver never gets my pm without me being informed (like if the pm inbox is full) ?

Jan 15, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #2 of 24
This happens to me as well, however, I have no problem with it. I assume that if I haven't heard from the seller within a reasonable amount of time that he/she is not interested in my offer.

I don't feel that it is the Seller's responsibility to respond to every PM they get. I don't even feel it's a lack of courtesy...it's just the way it is.

Jan 15, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 24
Hey, this is exactly what I would do when inerested in a no-price sale offer. I'd ask for the expected price. There is nothing like lowballing to me. This is not my business to find out what would be a lowball, rather the seller's who's interested in smallest possible loss or maximized profit.
I guess we get confused because it's uncommon in Europe to offer something without proposed price. I think it should be higher than satisfying minimum, with some bargain possible via PM.

Jan 15, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #5 of 24
Imo I would agree with you that it's rude, unless the deal is so good that they are swamped by pms, I mean there is a 60second delay between pms think of how time consuming it is. But if you think that's bad, one time someone posted an item listed a price and said he would have access to it in two weeks. I said I'll take it at that price and he said okay then two weeks later I pm him and he says I never said you were getting it and he sold it to someone else without even giving me a notice. Waited two weeks for nothing.

Jan 15, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #6 of 24
I was just wondering what the thoughts of the community was. The first time it happened to me I posted negative feedback in the sellers feedback thread describing my experience. Within minutes it had been deleted by a mod and I received a pm from the mod stating that things like that were not wanted in the feedback threads.

Jan 15, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was just wondering what the thoughts of the community was. The first time it happened to me I posted negative feedback in the sellers feedback thread describing my experience. Within minutes it had been deleted by a mod and I received a pm from the mod stating that things like that were not wanted in the feedback threads.

I would have to agree with the mod that deleted your feedback. You did not purchase anything from that seller, so you have no reason to leave feedback whether positive or negative.

Jan 15, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #9 of 24
I don't think it was intentional, but I PMed a seller to tell him I would pay the asking price listed in his thread

I never got a reply, and then saw the thread title change

Little things like that, leavin' people hanging is kinda annoying. Was really hanging out for the headphones too

Jan 15, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thank goodness. That's certainly not what feedback is for. I can't imagine the mess feedback would be if we had to wade through ever petty annoyance form potential buyers:

I was first in line and the big, bad seller sold MY headphones to someone else.

I low-balled him, and he never PM'ed me back. Now I can't get my panties out of this huge bunch"

He bought them for $100, but now wants $150. He's immoral and unethical. It's my God-given birth right to buy them for the same price he did!

---------------------------------------

nc8000, I don't specifically mean you would do that, but let's not even tempt those flood gates.

Anyway, yes, I think you are being too sensitive. It sucks not to be PM'ed back, but just move on. On man's decent offer is another man's low-ball. It's hard to know.

Jan 15, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #11 of 24
His/Her PM box certainly could be full.
But if the PM came through I expect to get a reply. If its just a one-word reply...

Jan 15, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #12 of 24
Thanks for all your thoughts. It must mostly just be me getting old

Jan 15, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #13 of 24
it's not a situation unique to fs board. you get used to it if you've ever applied to jobs or use craigslist at all. people become flakey when their modes of communication have grown oversaturated as in the present. and it's not a good trait, but everyone is guilty of it to some degree.

Jan 15, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #14 of 24
You are too sensitive. Or I may say, you are well cultured and here's the INTERNET.

In a perfect world everybody is polite, well brought up and have time and say thanks and sorry every time... unfortunately....

A no reply says the seller is not interested and he has another 200 emails to attend to. U who reply to every single email, good for u.

A negative feedback to a no-reply is... LAME.

Jan 15, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmithepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are too sensitive. Or I may say, you are well cultured and here's the INTERNET.

In a perfect world everybody is polite, well brought up and have time and say thanks and sorry every time... unfortunately....

I think that actually hits the nail right on the head.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmithepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A negative feedback to a no-reply is... LAME.

I don't think it is lame as that is how I was brought up, but I can see how communication does not work if my standards are not the same as anybody elses because I then take ofence were none was ment. That's the purpose of this thread to get claryfied

Users who are viewing this thread

Back