is it good to use tube pre + tube power
May 11, 2012 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

goohsm

100+ Head-Fier
is it good to use tube pre + tube power?
or is it better off with just one of them tube and the other SS?

whatabout tube dac + tube pre + tube power?
would it be ok? or worse

May 11, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #2 of 5
How would this be "bad?" People ran setups like this for decades before the advent of solid-state (well, not DACs, but you get the idea). Some of them were quite nice.

All-tubed systems are something of a curiosity these days, but it can certainly be made to work. You'll probably have to build components yourself or be prepared to pay quite a bit (and there are some things you simply can't do with tubes, like DtoA or similar). They look very cool though. :)

May 12, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
All-tubed systems are something of a curiosity these days
smily_headphones1.gif

what do you mean?
tube+SS's are preferred these days?
budgets is a non issue
i just want to know tube+ss sound better than tube+tube

May 12, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #5 of 5
what do you mean?
tube+SS's are preferred these days?
budgets is a non issue
i just want to know tube+ss sound better than tube+tube

What I mean is, most designs have moved beyond pure tube/valve electronics, as technology has changed over the last fifty years. So having a system that's completely tube based from top to bottom is going to stand out; you have to actively work at putting it together (it's pretty hard to avoid solid state components, is basically my point). There's also some components that absolutely are not going to be fully tubed (like a CD player).

I don't think you can reduce good sounds down to the tube/SS debate though - good equipment exists on both sides of the fence.

There is nothing inherently wrong with hybrid systems, or all valve systems, or all SS systems. And you shouldn't have any arcs and sparks with an all tube system unless something goes very very wrong (we're talking malfunctioning equipment or improper usage).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back