Is it ever appropriate for the seller to use OBO?
Nov 28, 2013 at 11:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Abovetheair

100+ Head-Fier
OBO-Or Best Offer

Often times when I am looking to buy something, anything, then I will come across posts along the lines of "Selling XX $50 OBO".

So is there really a purpose of the seller to use the term "OBO"?

If there is something I want, and the seller has "OBO" I will ALWAYS offer below their asking price and ping pong back and forth with the price until it goes below the asking price.

Nov 28, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 6
  to me OBO basically means if nobody is interested and the only offers you get suck.

It tells me "I would like this amount, but if you offer me lower i'll take it". Often times this leads others sending offers way below asking price as well. 

Nov 28, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 6
IMHO, everyone on both sides of the potential transaction over-thinks the process. Don't play games with me - just tell me the price you are asking in the ad and I'll either tell you I want it or I'll make a counter offer. All the rest is just nonsense. Ads that don't give a price or that want some complicated trade deal are simply bypassed. So are ads that want me to pay all the Paypal fees or pay anything else other than basic shipping. Just make it simple and I'll pay a fair price - otherwise I'll look for a different ad! :)

Dec 14, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #6 of 6
"OBO" makes sense if you're trying to sell fast. Sure, you'll get some lowball offers that aren't worth taking, but you might get some respectful offers.

Otherwise, it's better to set your price and stick to it because of how you"ll feel about the transaction: you'll know that you sold at a fair price and the buyer will know that he bought at a fair price. So both parties are pleased with every aspect of the transaction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back