Is it common?
May 1, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #31 of 41
I just got done re-ripping about 150 of my songs at 192 VRB. I'll probably end up doing them all before it's over with knowing me.
wink.gif
Weird to how when I burn my 128 songs onto a cd and play them through my car stereo they sound good but the same songs sound kinda crappy on my iPod through my cars Sync system or earphones.

May 1, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #32 of 41
Patience my friend..... You have a limited source. regardless of the IEM's you choose, you would definitely benefit from a source/amp upgrade.
You will still notice an big difference between your Sony's and your New UE's.

Enjoy the sound and start upgrading your source little by little.

May 1, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #33 of 41
If u have big hard drive on pc, why dont try what being suggested in few earlier post. Rip to loseless for future manipulation. Who knows 64GB flash memory iPod launched next quarter?
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #34 of 41
I think you should quit asking us and try ripping a few songs to higher quality yourself; then test and see whether or not you can hear a difference with your new-and-upcoming IEMs. I sincerely hope you do hear the difference, because 128 sounds really muffled to me and only 192+ is passable on my iPod.

May 2, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #36 of 41
Let me recommend something different.
You mention that you're not on a budget, why not change your source?
The Sansa Fuze comes to mind, 8GB onboard and expandable through MicroSD up to 16GB.
That's a total of 24GB.
Re-rip your files to 320 and with the increase in storage you can then store them all.

May 2, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #37 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by EEXO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me recommend something different.
You mention that you're not on a budget, why not change your source?
The Sansa Fuze comes to mind, 8GB onboard and expandable through MicroSD up to 16GB.
That's a total of 24GB.
Re-rip your files to 320 and with the increase in storage you can then store them all.

I already have a Sansa actually. I believe it's a clip though. I also have a Sony PSP 3000 which I have a lot of songs ripped on to. I like my iPod though because I can have music on it as well as download movies from iTunes. And it's so small. I just wish my iPod had a memory card slot for additional memory like my PSP does. I'm presently re-ripping all of my songs at 192 VBR.

May 2, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #38 of 41
Yea, if you are really interested in bettering your portable audio experience, it is best to first get high quality music (192 minimum for mp3) on your DAP. The better audio rips should make higher quality headphones "sing".

If you really must take all of your music with you, you should prob look into getting a newer DAP with more memory on it. Although I own a few portable amps (and I am a believer in using them), I recommend not even thinking about one untill you are happy with your current DAP (ie capacity, sound, and features) and headphones.

May 2, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #39 of 41
I've never understood the concept of having that much music on a portable DAP. To me, its exactly that. Portable, and I think I'd be hard pressed to find someone who was constantly moving around to the point that they'd viably be able to listen to 3k+ songs.

If you want quality, and THINK you might be in this for the long haul, I would rerip all of your stuff to lossless, archive it on an external hard drive maybe, and convert down to different codecs, etc for your DAP.

To me, I really don't understand wanting to have premium quality sound, paying for hardware, and then refusing to use *at least* 320kbps. IMO, It's kind of like buying a sports car and then refusing to go more than 40mph. You've paid the money for the phones, expressed an interest in getting the best sound that you can(by buying them..to some degree) and then refused to utilized them to their full potential.

I really don't mean to come across the wrong way, I just dont understand the logic behind the constraints that you've given yourself in wanting to upgrade.

May 2, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #40 of 41
I have all of my music ripped at 192 and I also have some stuff at 320 for me I have to say I have a very hard time hearing any difference. So I say go with 192 and go with a middle of the road IEM that will vastly improve your music without over exposing it. Atrios 5m or Monster Turbines are good middle of the road IEM's

May 2, 2009 at 10:52 AM Post #41 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by crossmd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never understood the concept of having that much music on a portable DAP. To me, its exactly that. Portable, and I think I'd be hard pressed to find someone who was constantly moving around to the point that they'd viably be able to listen to 3k+ songs.

If you want quality, and THINK you might be in this for the long haul, I would rerip all of your stuff to lossless, archive it on an external hard drive maybe, and convert down to different codecs, etc for your DAP.

To me, I really don't understand wanting to have premium quality sound, paying for hardware, and then refusing to use *at least* 320kbps. IMO, It's kind of like buying a sports car and then refusing to go more than 40mph. You've paid the money for the phones, expressed an interest in getting the best sound that you can(by buying them..to some degree) and then refused to utilized them to their full potential.

I really don't mean to come across the wrong way, I just dont understand the logic behind the constraints that you've given yourself in wanting to upgrade.

I've got 11,000+ tracks on my Classic 160gb (mostly 256 kbps, though 192 was also fine) and often use the shuffle feature either one genre of music, or a combination of genres. For me 100/200 CD's worth of music gets to be a bit boring at some stage.

"It's kind of like buying a sports car and then refusing to go more than 40mph..."
-- To me it's more like already reaching 130mph easily and wanting to reach max speed of 135/140mph - no significant difference.

And for me the iPod Classic 160gb -> ES3X (or Westone 3 before that) is enough audio bliss. Had two amps (P-51 Mustang & Nuforce Icon Mobile) and sold them as they didn't really improve the sound to these ears, and also added unnecessary bulk to the portability I was aiming for. I personally, and repeat personally, find the whole amp thing highly overrated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back