Is it better to upgrade directly to the STAX SR-009 or get the SR-207 first?
Jul 6, 2015 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Music Alchemist

Pokémon trainer of headphones
Update:

I ended up buying the SR-207 first because it was over half off the retail price. (!!!) Couldn't pass that up.

---

I recently plunged into the world of electrostats, with STAX SR-30 electret earspeakers, a STAX SRD-4 electret adapter, and a Lepai LP-2020A+ speaker amp. Even this low-end system sounds more realistic to me than everything else I have heard, regardless of price. (That includes the Abyss, HE1000, HE-6, HD 800, etc.) Needless to say, I am very excited about upgrading to better STAX.

Considering how impressed I am by even entry-level STAX, I see myself building my primary rig around the SR-009 in the future. (I would still like to collect all sorts of other headphones, but they don't have priority. Please note that I am not looking for alternate recommendations at this time. I would in all likelihood obtain those others in due course nevertheless.)

...But I'm facing a little predicament. I can't decide whether to get the SR-207 first or save up for the SR-009. Although there are a few who prefer the 207 over the 009, the general consensus is that the 009 is well worth the premium.

Here is some background info, to give you a better grasp of my situation.

Forgoing the 207 would enable me to put that money towards the 009. (Though at more than six times the cost, it doesn't get me that much closer.) On the other hand, since the 207 is much more affordable, I would be able to get it earlier on...but I would probably end up getting it either way. I'm curious to hear the 207 and compare it to the 009, and by the time I buy the 009, getting the 207 as a backup would be a simple matter.

There is also the issue of amplification. My endgame electrostat amp is the DIY T2. That will require considerable expenditure and patience, to say the least. I was planning on just using the STAX SRM-323S for the 009 until then, instead of trying out more TOTL amps in the interim. As for the 207, if I got it first, I would either use a STAX SRM-252S amp or STAX SRD-7 electrostatic adapter along with a speaker amp. Not sure how much better the adapter + speaker amp combo would sound than the 252 if I were to upgrade to a better speaker amp.

The 207 headphone alone is $390 from STAXUSA.com. The SRS-2170 system (which includes the headphones and 252S amp) is also under $400 from PriceJapan.com. However, I would need either a voltage transformer or power supply with negative polarity in order to use it in the US, bringing the total closer to $500 after shipping. The SRD-7 can be found for under $100, but I would be compelled to upgrade my speaker amp if I went down that route. Without a new speaker amp, the cost is about the same for either option.

The 009 is between $2,700 and $2,800 from PriceJapan.com. Someone I know is willing to sell me one of his 323S amps for a great price, and its voltage has even been modified to work in the US without needing anything extra.

I would not want to use the 252 amp for the 009. Once I get the 009, I definitely want the 323 along with it. That means if I do get the 252, I would not use it after I have the 009. Of course, I could always sell the 252, and as stated above, its cost is tied into the potential 207 purchase, which would set me back about the same amount whether I go with the 252 + 207 from PJ or 207 alone from STAX USA + SRD-7.

So the 207 system would be about $500, while the 009 system would be roughly $3,250 to start with.

My budget is...unpredictable. In the past, I generated four figures in a single day on multiple occasions. Nowadays, I tend to do just enough to cover expenses for awhile, then goof off the rest of the time. So it essentially depends on how lazy I am. If I stop being lazy and end up making enough to afford an endgame 009 system, this dilemma resolves itself, but that's a big if.

Anyway, I was looking for more opinions on this. What do you think?

Since the 009 is held in such high regard, should I just go straight for it and forget about the 207?

Or should I get the 207 first so I can enjoy a full-fledged modern electrostat earlier on?

Feel free to participate in the poll. If you can explain your reasoning, it would be especially helpful.

Jul 6, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #2 of 23
To whom it may concern, I would also like to see more comparisons of the SR-207 to the SR-009. (Not many have been published, and those that have weren't very in-depth.) A few people have voted for the SR-009 so far, which is to be expected, but it would help me (and perhaps others) more if I had more information.

Jul 7, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #3 of 23
  To whom it may concern, I would also like to see more comparisons of the SR-207 to the SR-009. (Not many have been published, and those that have weren't very in-depth.) A few people have voted for the SR-009 so far, which is to be expected, but it would help me (and perhaps others) more if I had more information.

Don't forget that you should get the right amp for the SR-009 - so you are comparing a 500$ with a 5000 - 8000$ investment.
I don't think anyone owning both would say the 2170 combo is better than the SR-009.

I own a 2170 and a 3170 combo, and the 3170 is significantly better. Got them both from pricejapan.com .

Dreaming of a SR-009 myself, I think starting with a 2170 is a good entry into the Stax world, and selling this for close to 500$ should never be a problem.

The 2170 is the only STAX where you don't need a voltage transformer - all you need is a power supply where you can switch polarity.
Don't try without, or you'll need a soldering iron.

Peter

Jul 7, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #4 of 23
lol. Five votes so far, all for going straight for the SR-009. Such encouragement!

Don't forget that you should get the right amp for the SR-009 - so you are comparing a 500$ with a 5000 - 8000$ investment.
I don't think anyone owning both would say the 2170 combo is better than the SR-009.

I own a 2170 and a 3170 combo, and the 3170 is significantly better. Got them both from pricejapan.com .

Dreaming of a SR-009 myself, I think starting with a 2170 is a good entry into the Stax world, and selling this for close to 500$ should never be a problem.

The 2170 is the only STAX where you don't need a voltage transformer - all you need is a power supply where you can switch polarity.
Don't try without, or you'll need a soldering iron.

Peter

In my first post, I mentioned that I would use the STAX SRM-323S amp for the SR-009 until I could afford the DIY T2, which is regarded as the ultimate electrostat amp.

I also mentioned that I would need either a voltage transformer or power supply with negative polarity for the SRM-252S. Either would work.

Jul 7, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #5 of 23
I think you should go for the 207. Jus as a progressive step. It'll allow you to delve more into stat territory.
I also think you should plan for a KG design, be it a KGST, HV. Something more easily attainable and it will work well with the 507/950/007/009, etc
Finding a T2 builder isn't an easy task and if you do find one be prepared to pony up.

Jul 7, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #6 of 23
  I think you should go for the 207. Jus as a progressive step. It'll allow you to delve more into stat territory.
I also think you should plan for a KG design, be it a KGST, HV. Something more easily attainable and it will work well with the 507/950/007/009, etc
Finding a T2 builder isn't an easy task and if you do find one be prepared to pony up.

It's certainly a lot more affordable. This ultimately depends on whether I only have $500 to spare in the impending future or end up making thousands. I'm fairly certain I will get the 207 either way.

The main thing I'm concerned about with the amps is spending thousands of dollars on one that wouldn't be endgame for me, since I wanted to put that money towards the DIY T2. It's a long-term goal, since even after commissioning a build, I would have to wait for some time. I do have my eye on the Mjölnir KGSSHV Carbon, though.

Jul 7, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #7 of 23
If I were you I would first buy the 207 headphone from an official dealer (not grey market). This way I would get some warranty (which I personally did need for my 303's, unfortunately). Alternatively, I would try to listen to the 207 and 407 and decide if the latter is worth the extra cash, especially in the light of my future plans (generally speaking, listening first is a very good idea if at all possible). Also I would certainly buy that 323 amp.

Then I would relax, listen to my music, buy some new music, play with different sources, interconnects, pads, sorbothane mod etc In a word, enjoy. And of course, keep saving money for the big system to come, for as long as it takes.

Oh, and I would try to listen to a good Magnepan speaker setup. But that's just me and my obsession...

Jul 7, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #8 of 23
  If I were you I would first buy the 207 headphone from an official dealer (not grey market). This way I would get some warranty (which I personally did need for my 303's, unfortunately). Alternatively, I would try to listen to the 207 and 407 and decide if the latter is worth the extra cash, especially in the light of my future plans (generally speaking, listening first is a very good idea if at all possible). Also I would certainly buy that 323 amp.

Then I would relax, listen to my music, buy some new music, play with different sources, interconnects, pads, sorbothane mod etc In a word, enjoy. And of course, keep saving money for the big system to come, for as long as it takes.

Oh, and I would try to listen to a good Magnepan speaker setup. But that's just me and my obsession...

Well, the 207 is the only one I might get beforehand, just to tide me over until the 009 without spending a whole lot. Not looking to buy any of the "in-between" models, though it would be nice to collect every STAX ever made someday. The SRM-323S would cost me around $450. That's more than the SR-207 headphones and SRM-252S amp combined, and that's added on top. Doesn't seem likely that I would get the 323 until the 009. PriceJapan does provide warranty service, albeit indirectly. You have to send in the equipment to them, which they then send to STAX. Speaking of that, that's another reason to have a backup around, since getting things fixed could take weeks or months.

Jul 7, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #9 of 23

Well, the 207 is the only one I might get beforehand, just to tide me over until the 009 without spending a whole lot. Not looking to buy any of the "in-between" models, though it would be nice to collect every STAX ever made someday. The SRM-323S would cost me around $450. That's more than the SR-207 headphones and SRM-252S amp combined, and that's added on top. Doesn't seem likely that I would get the 323 until the 009. PriceJapan does provide warranty service, albeit indirectly. You have to send in the equipment to them, which they then send to STAX. Speaking of that, that's another reason to have a backup around, since getting things fixed could take weeks or months.

Pricejapan's current pricing to the US is 400$ for the 2170 and 4000$ for the 009 / SRM-007 combo.
It's a little bit like comparing a Mazda Miata and a Ferrari California.

When I got into sports cars, I started with the Miata. Never found a direct comparison to the California, but I'm sure the California is soooo much better...

I ordered my 2170 on Thu, arrived Tue. Give it a try, you'll have a lot of fun.

Peter

Jul 7, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #10 of 23
  Pricejapan's current pricing to the US is 400$ for the 2170 and 4000$ for the 009 / SRM-007 combo.
It's a little bit like comparing a Mazda Miata and a Ferrari California.

When I got into sports cars, I started with the Miata. Never found a direct comparison to the California, but I'm sure the California is soooo much better...

I ordered my 2170 on Thu, arrived Tue. Give it a try, you'll have a lot of fun.

Peter

It arrived that quickly? Which shipping option did you use? (I'm assuming FedEx.)

Since I could afford the 207 much more easily than the 009, I will probably end up getting it first. Skipping it would only save me less than a sixth of the money I need anyway.

Jul 7, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #12 of 23
Do it. Go for the 009s. You know you won't be satisfied elsewise. 

But srsly, I could never do the lambda sets because I have monster ears. They are a pain to use, my ears go red with pain in half an hour. 

The omega sized earcups and comfort, you will never go wrong with. 

Jul 7, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #13 of 23
  Do it. Go for the 009s. You know you won't be satisfied elsewise. 

But srsly, I could never do the lambda sets because I have monster ears. They are a pain to use, my ears go red with pain in half an hour. 

The omega sized earcups and comfort, you will never go wrong with. 

hehe, maybe I'll let you borrow my SR-30 someday. That thing is so tiny that it becomes a torture device, and I have smaller than average ears. Do the Lambdas have hard "insides"? Like the part your ears press up against. The SR-30 does, and its ear pads are very thin as well.

The issue here is that I don't know how much money I will make in the next month or three. I might make enough to afford the 009 and a TOTL amp, or I might only be able to get the 207. Too bad I couldn't buy your 207, though! Don't think I'll find a better price for it again.

Although my STAX sounds way better, the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 I received today is so comfortable I might use it most of the time...at least for now.

Jul 8, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #15 of 23
  Wow, 11 votes for the 009 and only 1 vote for the 207. Wish these voters would have explained the reasoning behind their votes, though...

• It's only money.
  • And it's yours.
  • Why putzy around when you can have one of the very best, if you can afford it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back