Is it actualy possible for your ears to bleed if the volume is too high?
Dec 23, 2005 at 10:46 AM Post #16 of 54
Now thats what im talking about, Slayer claim that bleeding is cool so it must be
580smile.gif

Dec 23, 2005 at 10:54 AM Post #18 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gibo
Metallica post 1989 suck my long one, They not metal, they some sort of plasticy imitation metal

Yeah, well at least when I saw them they still played a ton of the old stuff too.

You don't see Slayer or Megadeath playing with the San Francisco Philharmonic, even if they could I doubt that they would even want to do it.

Metallica jumped the shark!

Dec 23, 2005 at 11:01 AM Post #19 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gibo
Now thats what im talking about, Slayer claim that bleeding is cool so it must be
580smile.gif

It is not you I hate, it is everyone else just like you.

Listen to some real metal.

Dec 23, 2005 at 11:28 AM Post #21 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emon
No. It's sad, really, a lot of kids think it's either safe to listen at very loud volumes (like with headphones) or don't care because they think that, by the time it's a problem for them or by the time they're older, they're be a cure for it.
rolleyes.gif
Naivety at its best. And this is coming from a 19 year old.

That's 'cos kids are young, dumb and think they are gonna live forever
icon10.gif

And what kid worth his milk-teeth is going to take advice off an oldie, especially an oldie like me who did everything to excess like a bad example but still has faculties intact
biggrin.gif

"So what's wrong with being naive?" - Geddy Lee

Dec 23, 2005 at 11:37 AM Post #22 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
Exceptionally high volumes can perforate or rip asunder the membrane of the ear, which I imagine would be accompanied by severe pain if not necessarily copious bleeding.

It would, however, also be accompanied by an immediate re-evaluation of the necessity of multithousand dollar audio setups, as the listener would then be at best mostly deaf.

LOL
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Dec 23, 2005 at 12:36 PM Post #23 of 54
unless you've seen motorhead, you havent heard the loudest band. On-stage the band are literally inaudible, and these guys (band members) have been doing it for over 30 years, and they can still hear.

Everyone is different though. When i've been to gigs i have been almost deaf afterwards, with crackles and whirling sounds in my ears.

Dec 23, 2005 at 12:40 PM Post #24 of 54
Sounds above 85 dB are considered harmful, while 120 dB is unsafe and 150 dB causes physical damage to the human body . Windows break at about 163 dB. Jet airplanes are about 133 dBA at 33 m, or 100 dBA at 170m. Eardrums rupture at 190 to 198 dB. Shockwaves and sonic booms are about 200 dB at 330 m. Sounds around 200 dB cancause death to humans and are generated near bomb explosions (e.g. 23 kg of TNT detonated 3 m away). The space shuttle isaround 215 dB (or about 175 dBA at 17m). Nuclear bombs are 240 dB to 258 dB(distance unknown???values useless). Even louder are earthquakes , tornadoes , hurricanes and volcanoes.

Dec 23, 2005 at 12:54 PM Post #25 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref
Sounds above 85 dB are considered harmful, while 120 dB is unsafe and 150 dB causes physical damage to the human body . Windows break at about 163 dB. Jet airplanes are about 133 dBA at 33 m, or 100 dBA at 170m. Eardrums rupture at 190 to 198 dB. Shockwaves and sonic booms are about 200 dB at 330 m. Sounds around 200 dB cancause death to humans and are generated near bomb explosions (e.g. 23 kg of TNT detonated 3 m away). The space shuttle isaround 215 dB (or about 175 dBA at 17m). Nuclear bombs are 240 dB to 258 dB(distance unknown???values useless). Even louder are earthquakes , tornadoes , hurricanes and volcanoes.

And of course one must not forget top fuel dragsters , incredibly loud and wonderful sounding machines.
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2005 at 1:55 PM Post #26 of 54
Sorry to hijack the thread, does anybody know the loudness values of shooting different guns and calibers in the position of shooters head?

Dec 23, 2005 at 2:18 PM Post #27 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by rimmer
Sorry to hijack the thread, does anybody know the loudness values of shooting different guns and calibers in the position of shooters head?

I have no clue, but have you googled it?

Dec 23, 2005 at 2:42 PM Post #28 of 54
My ears have never bled, but I did attend a Siouxsie and the Banshees concert in 1986 which was so loud it caused pain in my left ear. Ever since then, every so often I do have problems with that ear and I've noticed that it's more sensitive to loud noises than my right ear.

Up until a few years ago, I always thought it was dumb to wear earplugs at a concert but now I wouldn't even think of going to one without them. You don't really miss much of the sound with earplugs, and the acoustics in arenas and stadiums are usually lousy anyway.

Dec 23, 2005 at 4:34 PM Post #29 of 54
I have bleed from my ears on a couple of occasions. not from loud sound, but just for some reason I think I clean my ears to much and the insides get dry. Just a little blood coming out, only happened about 10 times in the last 10 years. The problem is seems like it takes forever to heal. I don't think ears are that prone to healing quickly. Also my left ear tends to get some fluid build up at loud event...concerts, footbal games...etc.etc and even when I have listened to headphones really loud for a extended period of time. Basically my family has crappy ears, but I can still head really well!

Dec 23, 2005 at 5:03 PM Post #30 of 54
I went to a David Lee Roth concert in the late 80's just before he got sued for playing too loud. It was way too loud. He's toned it down considerably over the years.

I bring my UE10pros without the wire to shows now. They aren't like earplugs that muffle all of the high end. Basically makes everything sound perfect at a much lower level.

After that first DLR concert I never go to any shows without earplugs even if I look like a complete tool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back