Is IE8 really a $400?
Jul 26, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #61 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am talking about the Westone 3 and UM3X. The Westone 3 I do like a lot, but still I think that it isn't that much better than the UM2 than what some make it out to be. But it's certainly a nice IEM, just that it's questionable if it's worth $400. As for the UM3X I am still yet to determine any significance difference between it and the UM2. The sad thing is that people here seem to have forgotten how good the UM2 was, it's still my top recommendation.

Having upgraded to the W3 in January of this year after owning/loving UM2s for 3 years, I disagree and think the W3 is easily worth $100 more than the UM2 ($300USD vs. $400USD) simply by virtue of its enormously extended range in both directions. It is a bit more finicky to acclimate to but I feel a much more satisfying portable solution than the UM2. And, as much as I loved the UM2 I would still recommend the UM3X more as simply $79 more for that much extended range, tightening of the bass and restoring higher end freqs, and almost the exactly same fit as the UM2 ($300USD vs. $379USD) - and little or none of the W3's quirks. Unless you can get them (UM2s) new for a lot less than their usual list of $300, the newer models are much improved in exactly the right areas and worth the little extra over the long term satisfaction and value returned, IMO (sorry if hijacking this IE8 thread). Cheers.

Jul 27, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #62 of 79
Back on topic guys... I need some IE8 reassurance
smily_headphones1.gif

Does wearing the IE8 down the ear (as opposed to over) compromise the comfort and isolation levels? I have researched about 12 pages of the "IE8 appreciation thread" but found no source. Hopefully MadDog or anyone can assist.

Jul 27, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #63 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroBBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Does wearing the IE8 down the ear (as opposed to over) compromise the comfort and isolation levels? I have researched about 12 pages of the "IE8 appreciation thread" but found no source. Hopefully MadDog or anyone can assist.

Hit-or-miss depending on the shape of your outer ears. At least one of the styles (over-ear or straight-down) will work. If both of them work, one of them will work better than the other.

Jul 27, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #64 of 79
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

In order to wear it down the ear, the cables need to be switched, so the housing will fit properly in your ear. I haven't tried this yet, because i don't see a need to do it, over the ear is very comfortable.

Jul 27, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #66 of 79
Quote:

Yeah i dont know why, but the top shelf IEM's in Aus are actually quite affordable now. You will find the Triple.Fi 10's for $449, SE530 for $499 and IE8 for $379. We cant get Westone thats all.

@MadDog. How do you compare the fit on the IE8 over the Shures? I used to own the SE310 and was very comfortable. Im just paranoid the fact if i buy the IE8's, i'll be disappointed with the fit. The nozzle tips look massive compared to the SE530's.. I know they're dynamic, im just a bit skeptical. Im a dancer so it cant pop out too easily.

Wicked Digital in Sydney sell the Westone 3 (W3) but they're expensive. Earphone Solutions sell both the Westone UM3X and the W3 and they ship to Australia. It would cost you less to purchase the W3's from Earphone Solutions than locally. So you can consider purchasing Westones for the purpose of er, "bustin' some moves".

Jul 27, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #67 of 79
Thanks anyway mate, but i've decided to jump the gun on the IE8. After a lot of researching and umming, i think since my last IEM acquisition (TF10) that Matez bought in May, i really hope i made the right decision and dont get any buyer's remorse... !! I might just stop looking at this forum for a while (with absolutely no offense to Head-Fi.. I feel nothin' but lurvvve in this community! Ay!)

Jul 27, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #68 of 79
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

I like wearing my IE8 regular style. So easy to put on and take off. There is absolutely no compromise in isolation wearing this way. I didn't even have to switch the cable either.

Once you have IE8 in your hand you will know how light this thing is..you will find no problem wearing any which way you like.

Don't you worry about being comfortable with this phone. I guarantee. Your biggest concern would be to quiet down the enormous bass. If I can just find a way to lower my bass, I will adore this phone~!

Jul 27, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #69 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadDog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like wearing my IE8 regular style. So easy to put on and take off. There is absolutely no compromise in isolation wearing this way. I didn't even have to switch the cable either.

Once you have IE8 in your hand you will know how light this thing is..you will find no problem wearing any which way you like.

Don't you worry about being comfortable with this phone. I guarantee. Your biggest concern would be to quiet down the enormous bass. If I can just find a way to lower my bass, I will adore this phone~!

Cheers man! I would have to agree with you, as i prefer to have it down the ear. In saying that i'll try either anyway. Will be fun to try all the tips!

I just put an order on them. Going to order the 60cm replacement cable, to pair up with a mic headset in future. Im pumped for this!

Jul 27, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #70 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the cables need to be switched, so the housing will fit properly in your ear.

Wait what? You need to swap the cables so that the L/R channels are correct. Nothing to do with the shape, just the sound.

Jul 27, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #71 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait what? You need to swap the cables so that the L/R channels are correct. Nothing to do with the shape, just the sound.

You need to swap ears for this to work basically, so L->R and R->L

I think anyway - can't say I have tried it (they fit too well the normal way) but, thats what I imagine anyway...

Jul 27, 2009 at 11:36 AM Post #72 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think anyway - can't say I have tried it (they fit too well the normal way) but, thats what I imagine anyway...

But that was what I was implying..since you need to swap the right IEM to the left ear, you need to swap the wires/channels over...

Jul 27, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #74 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Swapping ears sounds like an extreme measure and not to be undertaken lightly or without expert surgical supervision.

Bored.

Sorry.

Jul 27, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #75 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadDog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your biggest concern would be to quiet down the enormous bass. If I can just find a way to lower my bass, I will adore this phone~!

Set the dial to minimum, and stop trying to get a seal with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back