Is HISS normal?
Feb 25, 2021 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

cappuchino

Previously known as sub30
When using an amplifier, is getting hiss normal? Any DIY ways to lessen it?

Feb 25, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #2 of 12
It happens when you have very sensitive IEMs and an AMP with a relatively high noise floor. One way to solve it is with an impedance adapter of some type like the IEmatch.

Feb 25, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #3 of 12
It happens when you have very sensitive IEMs and an AMP with a relatively high noise floor. One way to solve it is with an impedance adapter of some type like the IEmatch.
The IEmatch are out of budget. Should any impedance adapter do the trick, like that of the Dunu 70 ohm impedance adapter at 7 USD?

Feb 25, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #4 of 12
Impedance adapter works best if your headphone has a relatively flat impedance curve. If not, it will mess up the frequency curve of your headphone and potentially turns into a sound that you will dislike. IEMatch is not a simple impedance adapter but more like a bypass adapter / voltage divider that lowers your headphone sensitivity in order to reduce the effect of hissing, and such it doesn't affect by the headphone impedance curve nearly as much as an impedance adapter, meaning it will retain the same sound signature. Thus why IEMatch is far better solution for hiss than a simple impedance adapter - you get what you paid for.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 12
Impedance adapter works best if your headphone has a relatively flat impedance curve. If not, it will mess up the frequency curve of your headphone and potentially turns into a sound that you will dislike. IEMatch is not a simple impedance adapter but more like a bypass adapter that lowers your headphone sensitivity in order to reduce the effect of hissing, and such it doesn't affect by the headphone impedance curve nearly as much as an impedance adapter, meaning it will retain the same sound signature. Thus why IEMatch is far better solution for hiss than a simple impedance adapter - you get what you paid for.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I guess I'd just have to live with it. It just gets annoying for acoustic tracks.

Feb 25, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #6 of 12
iFi also makes Ear Buddy, which is a simplified version of IEMatch and cost less.

Mar 7, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #8 of 12
What signal source? What amplifier? What IEMs ? Maybe a better amp will help you? Do you get the hiss if your IEMs is connected to the signal source without the external amplifier?
1. Laptop
2. Cheap 6 USD SD01 amplifier
3. KS1 > KP580 > VK4

4. Was thinking about this but I don't know if it's worth-it when I stay in the "budget" segment."

5. Nope, only with an amplifier. I'm guessing it increases noise floor - most with my laptop, least with my iPhone 5s.

The "hiss" only becomes an issue when I listen to vocal-centric/acoustic tracks. Other than that type/genre of music, it's all good.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #9 of 12
From your laptop, sound maybe not too "sparkling" or full of energy?
A cheap amplifier seldom makes the sound better than the original sound, maybe a bit louder. And in your case, also ads hiss!
A better amplifier would probably improve your sound a bit, without hiss!
Look for a used Ray Samuels amplifier, if you can find one, but the price will probably not be cheap.
Or to improve much, look for an amplifier with a DAC, and connect your laptop to the USB.
THAT will improve things!

Mar 7, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #10 of 12
From your laptop, sound maybe not too "sparkling" or full of energy?
A cheap amplifier seldom makes the sound better than the original sound, maybe a bit louder. And in your case, also ads hiss!
A better amplifier would probably improve your sound a bit, without hiss!
Look for a used Ray Samuels amplifier, if you can find one, but the price will probably not be cheap.
Or to improve much, look for an amplifier with a DAC, and connect your laptop to the USB.
THAT will improve things!
I'm actually looking to purchase a DAC dongle with a CS43131 dac for 13 USD.

Still not ready to fork out the amount of money a Ray Samuels requires. I'm a first-year MLS student 😅

Thanks for the help.

Mar 7, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #11 of 12
Well, good luck.
You never know what you're gonna get! with such cheap items!
I have a couple of RSA amps, one without a DAC, one with.
Had one of his first, many years ago, without a DAC.
But sadly, I lost that one.
Very nice sound from RSA units generally.
And so small, very portable!

I did just buy a small, cheap, unit, just to add volume, and to check what these units could deliver.
From China, came under USD 20, delivered.
Maybe the sound was a bit smoother on my small NOKIA stereo speakers MD-4 attached to the top of the laptop screen bezel, but hard to tell.
Generally just wasted money!
Did not bother trying them with IEMs!

I see here, one RSA Mustang, or a Predator, for about USD 200.
Should be good, if you can spare that amount of cash.
Will improve your sound!
Just make sure you get the original, or a working substitute, power adapter when you buy them!
They are fiddly about that!
Mine Mustang is now 12-13 years old, still runs 40 + hours on a charge!

Mar 8, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #12 of 12
If you want something budget that's supposed to be very hiss free then just get the Apple USB-C Dongle, they're about $10 and I highly doubt you'll find anything better at that price. The Tempotec Sonata HD Pro is also another great choice but that's $30-40

Users who are viewing this thread

Back