Is high end CIEM wasted on a smartphone?
May 20, 2015 at 5:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

callizer

100+ Head-Fier
I want something to stuff into my pocket while travelling without bags, so I'm planning to get a CIEM. I'm considering either JH Angie or Noble K10.

Since the only reason I'm considering a CIEM  is for this purpose (bagless travel), I would want to avoid a bulky DAP or any stacks. It would be perfect if I don't need to bring any DAP at all. So I'm planning to use LG G3 as my DAP. Is the Angie/K10 a waste on my smartphone? 

May 20, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #2 of 5
Since both are quite expensive (Angie = $1295, K10 = $1599, from their respective websites), I guess that you will probably want to stop purchasing too many new things all at once (unless you have very deep pockets).

Why not adopt a wait-and-see approach?

Audition one or two DAPs at a local shop with your new CIEMs to justify whether a DAP is necessary or better than your phone, sound-quality-wise?

May 20, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #3 of 5
  I want something to stuff into my pocket while travelling without bags, so I'm planning to get a CIEM. I'm considering either JH Angie or Noble K10.

Don't forget that such IEMs aren't as compact to lug around without a bag, since you need to lug around the case - a basic zippered case with a hard enough shell to protect it from crushing force and scratches at minimum (most of the others come with an Otterbox). And this being an expensive product that can take weeks to reshell (instead of just ordering one online), you'd want to keep it protected when not in use. You'd need to wear a coat, or Fubu pants, just to make sure you can fit the IEM+case and the DAP in your pockets.

May 21, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #4 of 5

Don't forget that such IEMs aren't as compact to lug around without a bag, since you need to lug around the case - a basic zippered case with a hard enough shell to protect it from crushing force and scratches at minimum (most of the others come with an Otterbox). And this being an expensive product that can take weeks to reshell (instead of just ordering one online), you'd want to keep it protected when not in use. You'd need to wear a coat, or Fubu pants, just to make sure you can fit the IEM+case and the DAP in your pockets.

the JH case is pretty pocketable for me.

May 21, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #5 of 5
  the JH case is pretty pocketable for me.

It is somewhat relative, I should have pointed that out; but in any case, the thing is that in some cases at 1.7inch thick in one's pocket even moderately comfortable pants can sometimes get affected. Two people can wear the same jeans in the same size and have the same case for example but if one of them has chunkier thighs then the case will bulge on the pants (depends on him if that's bothersome, unless it actually impedes movement) and likely harder to pull out (my example with the Fubu pants isn't just the baggy circumference but also the wide pocket opening and humongous pockets), which some may find annoying.

At the very least if pocketability is that important for the OP he needs to simulate, like fold up a towel in the approximate size (or a large bar of soap) and try it in his pockets. If they don't bulge or the bulge at least doesn't impede his movement with all his stuff including an approximate size for an IEM case then it's good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back