Is gs1000 too sibilant with class a ss?
Nov 12, 2008 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

coleman22

New Head-Fier
I have cec hd53 v8 and cec belt drive player. They have a wonderful smooth sweet presentation. I also have the sr225 which I am enjoying.
I am considering the gs1000 but I hear it is to sibilant in some rigs.
Anybody using gs1000 with ss amps?

Nov 12, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #2 of 14
sibilance usually is not a factor of the headphone unless it's of low quality. if there is sibilance showing through with the gs1000, i am pretty certain it is a) the recording being shown what it really is, and/or there is something going on with the source/amp.

Nov 12, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #3 of 14
ah, I see. well my source is fantastic and my amp is on the warmish side and smooth, detailed but not analytical sounding. The amp is supposedly very similar in sound to the graham slee solo.
do you have any experience using this HP with solid state? I currently have the sr225, how much difference is there between these two HP's.
thanks
Coleman

Nov 12, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #5 of 14
Didn't like it with Rudistor RPX100, but that was some time ago...I believe more in synergy plus what been said above about poor quality record. Another thing, which is very important, is your source. Seems you have one on warmish side, so give them a chance and you will know.
An good high end product, phones, speakers and amps, are transparent one, which means that their task to reproduced the record without having much influence on the sound. So, if your source send the ****y signal to an amp and amp to the headphones, well, like people say: "**** in **** out, nothing more, nothing les."
This concerns not GS1000 only, but others to, like AKG K1000 for example...

Nov 12, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #6 of 14
majkel,
how does the gs1000 compare to the rs2? I have the sr225 which I hear is pretty close to the rs2 in terms of sound sig and detail retrieval so I am curious as to how big of a sonic leap is the top o the line grado.
thanks

Nov 12, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #7 of 14
SR225 are nothing like RS2, imo. SR225 are close to RS1 sound sig and thats pretty much true...

Quote:

Originally Posted by coleman22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
majkel,
how does the gs1000 compare to the rs2? I have the sr225 which I hear is pretty close to the rs2 in terms of sound sig and detail retrieval so I am curious as to how big of a sonic leap is the top o the line grado.
thanks

Nov 13, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #8 of 14
I don't remember the SR225's in details but would say the RS1's have more in common with the SR325i's than the RS2's. Actually, the RS2's are unique headphones, slightly sweet, more analytical than the RS1's, less offensive in the midrange and being unusually good in giving the overall acoustic image. They don't show details as explicitly as the RS1's but what they do better is to give impression of just being there. The GS1000's are more neutral and fix the RS2's issue which is limited spatial image of each sound. The RS1's or even the DT880's were better in this field, the GS1000 improve on this over both of them.

Nov 13, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

I have cec hd53 v8 and cec belt drive player. They have a wonderful smooth sweet presentation. I also have the sr225 which I am enjoying.
I am considering the gs1000 but I hear it is to sibilant in some rigs.
Anybody using gs1000 with ss amps?

I think i heard a cec headphone amp and cdplayer setup ( dunno if its what you are refering to ) before with gs1000 and rs1. Doesn't sound good on both of them.
The cec headphone amp is prob not a good match with the grados.

Nov 14, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Didn't like it with Rudistor RPX100, but that was some time ago...I believe more in synergy ...

Indeed. As you know I love the GS1000 with the RPX-100 but only with my warm tube output cd player. With my NAD 542 it is not so good (I know that was not the one you tried the RPX-100 with) so synergy in the whole rig is at least as important as the amp on it's own.

Nov 15, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by hentai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think i heard a cec headphone amp and cdplayer setup ( dunno if its what you are refering to ) before with gs1000 and rs1. Doesn't sound good on both of them.
The cec headphone amp is prob not a good match with the grados.

i think the cec and the sr225 sounds superb already, so would you be referring to the gs1000 and the cec specifically or just grado in general and cec?

Nov 15, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #12 of 14
I have a pair of RS-2's, RS-1's and vintage RS-1's on hand, as well as the GS-1000's and PS-1's. In my opinion, the RS-2's have quite a bit of the goodness of the RS-1's. Far more than they are often given credit for. I'd say the RS-2's are far more like the RS-1's than any other Grado headphone. What one loses out on is depth, staging, imaging, bits of resolution and a sweetness and warmth that the RS-1's excel at. These differences are less so when comparing the new RS-1's vs. new RS-2's where the sound signature falls quite a bit more in line. However, one still misses out on depth, imaging and staging which is more than worth the extra price for the RS-1's.

Nov 15, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #13 of 14
I completely disagree with the above statements about RS1's vs. RS2's. I have experience with current, buttonless versions, and the RS1's aren't sweet at all, but get creamy when burnt-in. The RS2's are slightly sweet but it's nothing like the younger RS1 brother. Different bass, different trebles, different imaging, different soundstage. The RS1's have better extended and neutral bass, not atracting attention at all. The RS2's bass is specific, with interesting texture, not extended to the bottom but still allowing to enjoy electronica in full. The midrange is thicker in the RS1's, especially in the upper range. The trebles are more present on the RS2's but kind of more polite, less weighty, subtle. The RS1's emphasize the background sounds and echos being more informative but less life-like due to this disproportion. The RS2's let you feel like being right there without further excuse.

Nov 16, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

i think the cec and the sr225 sounds superb already, so would you be referring to the gs1000 and the cec specifically or just grado in general and cec?

Prob the rs1 and gs1k only. GS1k sounds pretty bright, the treble tends to be annoying while rs1 suffers the same but abit more tolerable (rs1 is more of my preferrance). Both are great cans so i don't think they are good match for the amp imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back