Is ground required on KG amp?
Oct 17, 2002 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

fyleow

500+ Head-Fier
I have half of the amp itself built right now and i want to test to see if it works. No PSU done yet. I was thinking of just wiring 2 9V batteries in a series and hook it up as the power source. Can i just hook up the ground to something like my computer case?

Oct 18, 2002 at 4:59 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by fyleow
hmmm cap exploded....must have did something wrong...

Lol, that has to be one of the funniest posts I have read here.

Hope you figure out the problem.

Oct 18, 2002 at 7:04 AM Post #4 of 8
Hello fyleow

What cap exploded.

If the a cap exploded it may be due to one or both of two reasons.

Over voltage. (check the specs of the cap : you can overvoltage by 20 % but performance will suffer)

Reverse polarity. A extrolytic cap is polarity sensative.

You could have used the junction between the two 9V batteries as ground or a simple resistor devidor. (the ground will be the point between the two resistors).

Hope that helps

Gavin

Oct 18, 2002 at 7:14 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Lol, that has to be one of the funniest posts I have read here.

CaptBubba:

I'm sure fyleow didn't find it so amusing.
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2002 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 8
Well the cap didn't explode, it leaked though and started fizzling. It was one of the 4700 micro farad caps for the power supply. It's not overvolted, those are 100V and the max current is probably 60ish. Pretty sure I reversed the polarities, the caps doesn't fit the board so I was just messing with it using alligator clips. Bad idea...

I need to get new caps though, about 60V should do I think but rat shack doesn't sell them. Needed to get them replaced anyway, they were too large to fit on the PCB.

It was actually pretty scary and now I'm out $32. Bah.

Oct 18, 2002 at 11:36 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

...now I'm out $32. Bah.

Were those Blackgates or somethin?
frown.gif

Exactly where were those caps in the circuit?

I wish to apologize if you were offended by me and CaptBubba(?) making light of your situation. I assure you it was not out of mean spiritedness. It was just the way CaptBubba deadpanned: "Lol, that has to be one of the funniest posts I have read here.", I just couldn't help my self. Sorry.

I wish I knew more about the KG so I could give you hand. Perhaps one of the other KG diy-er's, could help you.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back