Is getting answers ONLINE during ONLINE IQ test ok?
Aug 27, 2004 at 6:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

iq160plus

100+ Head-Fier
Guy at work sent me to Online IQ test

He was very competitive. We did it at work. Here is the catch.....

It's an ONLINE IQ test. If you have the INTELLIGENCE to realize that you can open up additional web browser windows and go through search engines to search for the answers while you are taking the test in another window, is this a proper test of your IQ? Is is ethical? Do you think that the ability to SEARCH anywhere available during the IQ test is proper to use since that 'ability' is a manifestation of your IQ?

Aug 27, 2004 at 7:04 AM Post #2 of 20
Well, in a real IQ test, are you allowed to peruse a database of knowledge such as the library?

Aug 27, 2004 at 7:06 AM Post #3 of 20
I real IQ tests they generally lock you in a room and don't let you out until you're done. So generally no. Some of the more difficult ones are open-ended, though.

So with online ones, I doubt that searching on web browsers is expected or truly acceptable. Meanwhile, I seem to remember that the Tickle one maxes out somewhere in the 140's.

Aug 27, 2004 at 7:14 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by iq160plus
Guy at work sent me to Online IQ test

He was very competitive. We did it at work. Here is the catch.....

It's an ONLINE IQ test. If you have the INTELLIGENCE to realize that you can open up additional web browser windows and go through search engines to search for the answers while you are taking the test in another window, is this a proper test of your IQ? Is is ethical? Do you think that the ability to SEARCH anywhere available during the IQ test is proper to use since that 'ability' is a manifestation of your IQ?

up to a point. after that it's a manifestation of your desire to register a higher score than you could attain otherwise.
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2004 at 7:15 AM Post #6 of 20
I don't really care for those online IQ tests... I wouldn't think much of the scores from those and view them mainly as for entertainment only.

Aug 27, 2004 at 7:22 AM Post #7 of 20
If you have to ask, then I think you already know the answer. (It's not expected)

Aug 27, 2004 at 8:29 AM Post #8 of 20
You are taking the test to tell how intelligent you are. Not to tell how you can find answers to quesitons on the web.

Aug 27, 2004 at 11:27 AM Post #9 of 20
Oh come on, of course not.
I did an online IQ test ones but I had to pay to get the correct answers. I soon found out that if you put the question on google you'd get the link to the answer from the site you otherwise had to pay for. In other words, If I did the test using google I would have had every question right. Now that can't possibly be me IQ.

Aug 27, 2004 at 12:52 PM Post #11 of 20
When I took my iq test in 2nd grade, I was in a room with an examiner. Not once did he ask me if I wanted to use google (although, now that I think about it, this was before google's time. Maybe yahoo was around?).

By the way, online iq tests are pretty useless.

Aug 27, 2004 at 1:05 PM Post #12 of 20
now correct me if im wrong, but doesnt an IQ test you on your reasoning, and understanding skills. Skills to solve arbitary puzzles? It tests how you think, and problems themselves aren't like computational or informational, they want to see how you can understand a pattern, and piece something together.

A search engine is probablly useless in a real one, and any idiot can use google, so yes that isn't fair and should be considered cheating. Is it fair to take a mathetmatics tests with a answer keyin front of you? Or is it fair to take one with a calculator even? I say no,

Aug 27, 2004 at 2:31 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
what is a good score on this particular test?

I got a 138
tongue.gif

Do I need to go back to school?
tongue.gif
LOL
eggosmile.gif

For those who know or care about statistics this is how the IQ test works.

The general population is assumed to have a normal distribution. The test is designed such that the average person will have an IQ of 100. Spread around the mean gives a standard deviation of 15.

This means that someone with an IQ of 100 will be more intelligent than 50% of the population.

IQ of 85 will be more intelligent than 16% of the population.
IQ of 115 will be more intelligent than 84% of the population.
IQ of 130 will be more intelligent than 97.5% of the population.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back