Is FiiO E5 any good for my Grado/ PX100 / iM590
Oct 4, 2010 at 5:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MLTR

New Head-Fier
Hi, its my first post here.

Being on a tight budget, i first bought a PX100 which i love because i couldnt take the stock buds of my player anymore!! Then a year later, someone gave me as a gift a brand new Grado SR60i and that was quite the upgade though the sound signatures are world aparts. The next year i bought a iM590 as a first try at Intras.

Then i saw this little "iPod Shuffle" like amp  Fii0 E5 and for the price i bought it 14$ (was a destocking if i remember well). i was wondering if Fii0 E5 will do any good to any of my  cans? i tried it but it felt like the sound was muddier than directly from my headphone jack! Perhaps its the poor cables that came with it?? Or because i need to tap the input from a line out(LOD)? Or is this "toy" amp not good at all for my cans??

Oct 4, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #2 of 7
The Fiio won't do much except add volume to them, and yes is very likely to have a negative impact on the sound quality due to the fact that is being used out of a headphone jack. I would only use it if you were willing to add a little more bass to your music at the sacrifice of some detail.

Oct 4, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #3 of 7
I can't comment on the shuffle or the specific phones mentioned, but on the ipod touch with a lod and an E5, I did get clearer sound than the ipod's headphone jack with the Triple Fi 10. Volume certainly isn't an issue with the TF10 and the touch (the lowest volume setting is often enough in quiet settings), but the E5 definitely clears things up somewhat.

I'd say either get a LOD, or go without the E5.

Oct 4, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #4 of 7

and yes is very likely to have a negative impact on the sound quality due to the fact that is being used out of a headphone jack. I would only use it if you were willing to add a little more bass to your music at the sacrifice of some detail.

Got used to the amp and yes it does nothing apart add a little volume but i lose detail and even some tightness from the headphone jack

LOD bought ETA 3 days..

So it will be as follow

IPhone 3GS > LOD > fiio E5 > grado sr60i

Thx 4 the replies

Oct 4, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #5 of 7
Ok, I finally tried my E5 with my home phones, and it didn't like any of them.

It does OK with my HD595 (work) and Triple Fi 10 (portable), but the HD650 or SA5K? No way.

So, your headphones may be ones that it isn't suited for.

Oct 5, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #6 of 7
frown.gif
i suppose so !!! Anyway the fiio didnt cost much so its ok. There are two solutions

1) i buy other phones to suit the fiio E5

2) i buy another amp

Solution 1 is a no no for me at the moment and for solution 2 well any suggestions??

I can already hear my wallet weeping
wink.gif

EDIT:

I just realised that my phones dont need amping except for the grado(the increase in loudness is welcome ^^) considering their sensitivity ,impedance and the source I use !!

Feb 4, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #7 of 7
Update 

I just opted for solution 2 of my previous post. I rarely used the FiiO E5 because i felt it didnt bring much apart volume and decrease in SQ.

I ordered a PA2V2 from Gary (nice lad btw)  and I intend to couple it with Senn HD 25-1-ii as my portable rig

Users who are viewing this thread

Back