Is Etymotic er4p for me?
Jul 8, 2008 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Warhawk

100+ Head-Fier
I've been eyeing the um2s for a while now, but at the same time the etys have been in the back of my mind.

I know these are two different creatures(colorful and flat), but I think flat and analytical is for me.

Before anyone asks, my source is the SAMSUNG P2.
I don't have an amp, and won't for a while, and when I do it might be a d2 boa.

So a few points.

1. Bass

Most of my music(metal, rock and all sub-genres) doesn't have boomy bass in the background, so I'm not worried about bass in the etys.
I can always change tips(I might get shure olives if their the best) which from tons of reviews helps bass, I can change eq/bass boost on my P2, and it seems a better deeper fit helps too, so I should be good.
The bass I like to hear is in Iron Maiden, Tool, and others when bass is one of the main instruments, not background(overwhelming) noise.

2. Comfort

I would like if someone could find/post a picture of these in someones ears.
Found this.
11744772590039.jpg

And from people from the thread they were in said they had to be way deep, because I'm looking at the headroom pics(dummies) and they stick out more.
I saw one a while ago and it looked like you could barely see the IEMs, just a tiny part of the black tube sticking out.
But I've also heard people say they stick out a lot.
As long as they don't stick out as much as the Shure se210s, it should be good.
biggrin.gif

I'm used to deep IEMs, so that part should be fine.

3. Price

From what I can tell $180 seems pretty common for brand new. I've seen some reviews where people get them maybe $20 bucks cheaper or $100 bucks more expensive.
$180 seems perfect for me, plus I'm really limited to what I can buy online(parents would kill me if they found out I spent $180 on headphones), so I'm using my bro-in law who is a member of a whole sale price website.

I might pull the trigger today, so any help/advice would be much appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanx for reading.

Jul 9, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #2 of 18
Have had UM2s and own ER4Ps.

Yes, you'll appreciate the high end the ER4P delivers that the UM2s don't.

Yes, the synergy of your other equipment will have an effect and the bass will be the biggest area that could concern you (I personally wouldn't have kept a standard cabled ER4P).

The Apuresound ER4P cable provides you with an upgrade path to address the bass issue (That's how I solved my bass issues - but, be warned, it IS expensive). 'P' to 'S' adapters also provide you with a tinkering option should you decide to get the D2 Boa later.

On the converse side, I understand the UM2 sound can be improved with a personalised set of tips, but I chose instead to just go straight Livewires T1 instead of that option, and I've never looked back on that decision. But I still use the Etys to hear the best top end
wink.gif

Hope that helps.

Jul 9, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #3 of 18
If you want to pick up a Xin Supermini, it has a built in bass boost that was made with the ER4s in mind.

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to pick up a Xin Supermini, it has a built in bass boost that was made for the ER4s in mind.

That's a valid point. It could be your preferred amp if you decide to use an amp eventually - very configurable both with opamp and dip switch changes.
wink.gif

Jul 9, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #5 of 18
I think it is hard to go wrong with the ER4Ps. I have ER4Ps, SE530s and have just sold Triple Fi 10 Pros. While I love both the ER4Ps and the 530s, if I had to have only one IEM, it would be the ER4P. It is reasonably comfortable, provides the best isolation available (an important factor for me) and the most neutral, accurate sound quality, well as the highest resolution I have heard in an IEM. I agree that the Apuresound cable is a significant upgrade, in that it adds a touch or warmth that the ER4P otherwise lack and reduces the slight tilt towards the high frequencies, but the stock cable is also very good, so this can be added later if desired. I also suggest trying the Comply foam tips, which I have found the most comfortable, as well as providing the best isolation. Comply produce tips of different lengths and widths to match your ear and they are also quite cheap.

Jul 9, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Warhawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And from people from the thread they were in said they had to be way deep, because I'm looking at the headroom pics(dummies) and they stick out more.
I saw one a while ago and it looked like you could barely see the IEMs, just a tiny part of the black tube sticking out.
But I've also heard people say they stick out a lot.
As long as they don't stick out as much as the Shure se210s, it should be good.
biggrin.gif

I'm used to deep IEMs, so that part should be fine.

Insertion depth depends on what tips you use as well as the size of your ear canal. Bi or Tri flanged tips are inserted deeper into the ear canal. If you have small ear canals, they will stick out more plus they can be uncomfortable. Foam tips do not go in as deep and are not as long as the flanged tips.

I found this photo and judging by it, I'd say only a little of the black tube or just the red/blue part would be out of your ears if you can fit all three flanges into your ear.

Jul 9, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it is hard to go wrong with the ER4Ps. I have ER4Ps, SE530s and have just sold Triple Fi 10 Pros. While I love both the ER4Ps and the 530s, if I had to have only one IEM, it would be the ER4P. It is reasonably comfortable, provides the best isolation available (an important factor for me) and the most neutral, accurate sound quality, well as the highest resolution I have heard in an IEM. I agree that the Apuresound cable is a significant upgrade, in that it adds a touch or warmth that the ER4P otherwise lack and reduces the slight tilt towards the high frequencies, but the stock cable is also very good, so this can be added later if desired. I also suggest trying the Comply foam tips, which I have found the most comfortable, as well as providing the best isolation. Comply produce tips of different lengths and widths to match your ear and they are also quite cheap.

How long does a pair of comply tips last? Are they washable?

And where best does one buy them?

I'm kind of interested in getting some for my er-4p, as both of the stock tips are a bit large for my ears, but they seem a bit pricey (for some bits of foam).

Jul 9, 2008 at 7:33 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by erasmus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How long does a pair of comply tips last? Are they washable?

And where best does one buy them?

I'm kind of interested in getting some for my er-4p, as both of the stock tips are a bit large for my ears, but they seem a bit pricey (for some bits of foam).

Comply™ Foam Replacement Tips, Noise Reduction Earphones, and Mobile Phone Earsets with Noise Reduction.

I've never used them($14 seems a bit much for ear tips). But I would assume they're like any other stock foam. I wouldn't "wash" them but I'd try wiping/sanitizing with Isopropyl Alcohol. Don't get them too wet or they'll get funked up.

Jul 9, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #10 of 18
you've got the wrong idea of bass. if you listen to bass thumping music imo you should get a phone that has less bass than normal!

i listen to the bands you listed as well as more bass guitar oriented songs like jazz fusion/metal, progressive rock/metal, etc. Some bands must master with bass heavy phones because it is hard to pick out the bass melodies and have to EQ to have them come out clear, and its a shame because a lot of them are very complex (Dream Theater, Death's Human, Individual Thought Patterns, etc). but i'm fine with digital eq because if done right theres minimal phase distortion, unlike say an analog eq (like in an amp).

just imo and my understanding of my DSP classes.

also, for me (others may differ) olives give less bass than tri/bi flanges that are deeply inserted.

Jul 9, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #11 of 18
In my experience, Comply tips last a couple of months. They can probably be washed, but they become too compressed to re-use after a few months. I don't think they're expensive, given that a set will probably last six months. $14 is a couple of sandwiches. Given your investment in your IEMs, this is trivial.

Jul 9, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Interesting. I have the same three IEMs and I just got the SE530 today. Having had the ER-4P (and S) for about 4 years, the Triple.Fi for a year and the SE530 for a day I really think the UE needs to sold. I've come to realize that I've never been happy with it. I've had isolation issues, fit issues and finally got complys that fix the fit/isolation issue but I realized that they just don't do it for me. They have a presentation that makes me feel like every frequency band is there and in spades but they just don't come together. The bass is heavy and the treble is heavy IMHO with the mids thrown in somewhat lightly. After all the time I tried to live it, I give up.

As an aside if I could only have one IEM in the world it would definitely be the ER-4.

Jul 13, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Ross, without the upgraded cable in consideration, would you prefer the Shure against the 4P with stock cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back